WR cam mod vs YFZ cam mod??

5 replies to this topic
  • Blue4Ever

Posted June 17, 2006 - 12:20 PM

Just curious? I have understand you can not change the exhaust cam timing on the WR's w/auto decomp due to the pin length and the timing of when it opens the valve. What I am curious about is why you can make this mod to a YFZ in 04 and 05, which I have done many w/o issue and they still start very easy. It seems that a YFZ would suffer the same effect as the WR by advancing the cam. Has anyone determined the difference. :excuseme:

• simon@vic

Posted June 17, 2006 - 04:03 PM

if you where to advance the cam on a yz it wouldn't work..................

on the wr426 you would advance the cam so it would sit like the yz cam.
with a wr450 you have to buy a yz450 cam.

• MountainMax

Posted June 17, 2006 - 04:46 PM

so the Yz cam is a different profile and at different cam timing as well (more advanced I guess right) If you advance the Yz cam more it will be advanced too much right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nitronaf

Posted June 17, 2006 - 07:37 PM

Just curious? I have understand you can not change the exhaust cam timing on the WR's w/auto decomp due to the pin length and the timing of when it opens the valve. What I am curious about is why you can make this mod to a YFZ in 04 and 05, which I have done many w/o issue and they still start very easy. It seems that a YFZ would suffer the same effect as the WR by advancing the cam. Has anyone determined the difference. :excuseme:

hmm well i just had a quick look at the quads cam part numbers for 06 vs the wr
vs the yZf they are slightly different
2006 YFZ450 5TG-12180-20-00
2006 WRF450 5TJ-12180-20-00
2005 YZF450 5TA-12180-00-00

• Blue4Ever

Posted June 18, 2006 - 02:19 PM

so the Yz cam is a different profile and at different cam timing as well (more advanced I guess right) If you advance the Yz cam more it will be advanced too much right?

Actually I was refering to the quad (YFZ) not the YZF bike. I have retarded the exhaust cams on many 04 and 05 YFZ's(quads) that have auto decomp w/o any problems. Why is it that the WR's w/auto decomp have a problem w/the decomp pin opening the exhaust valve to early and the YFZ w/auto decomp does not have this issue? The different part #'s most likly refer to different lift and durations. I would think the auto decomp pins would contact about the same time in rotation weather they are YFZ's or WR's?! :excuseme:

• Matty05

Posted June 19, 2006 - 03:26 AM

the pin is shorter in the YZF and longer in WR cams, the YFZ pin might be short too?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.