stripped choke cable

12 replies to this topic
  • Muddin

Posted June 16, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Took carb out tonight to rejet and when putting choke cable back on noticed threads are pretty much gone. It does stay in the carb and seems to be working,but am wondering if it will hurt to ride till I can get a new cable. Do they make a cable that has a metal threaded end?

• tirebiter

Posted June 16, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Mine did the same thing after countless removals.
What I did to keep it inplace was put teflon tape on the threads, thread it in till snug, then a dab of silicone over the area where the nut meets the carb.
Worked great for a few rides, then got tired of re-jetting that crappy POS carb & bought an Edelbrock.

NOTE: This site provided the above link, not I. If you have the "L" model, check with Barnums or Edelbrock itself.

• Muddin

Posted June 17, 2006 - 07:17 AM

Well I geared up a small piece of hose to my vacume cleaner and made sure I cleaned out any plastic pieces from the choke hole and used Tirebiter's idea of the teflon tape. Seems to be holding, new cable should be here first of week. :excuseme: Thanks Tirebiter :bonk:

• tirebiter

Posted June 17, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Your welcome! :excuseme:

• scooter1100

Posted June 17, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I stripped mine once, btw the plastic cap for a trx350quad 86-92 have the same nut even though the plunger and springs are different. Also, I wouldn't use a metal one, or you'll be trying to replace the threads in the carb body instead of the nut.

• Warp

Posted August 11, 2010 - 05:39 AM

Well I geared up a small piece of hose to my vacume cleaner and made sure I cleaned out any plastic pieces from the choke hole and used Tirebiter's idea of the teflon tape. Seems to be holding, new cable should be here first of week. :banana: Thanks Tirebiter :eek:

Do you have to replace the whole cable and was it much trouble to do it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • akarob

Posted August 11, 2010 - 05:51 AM

This thread is from 2006

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 11, 2010 - 07:46 AM

Do you have to replace the whole cable and was it much trouble to do it?

You can't replace just the nut, if that's what you're asking.

You do just have to get it to stay put in the hole, though, so a kludge fix usually works.

Dave

• NOV8TR

Posted August 11, 2010 - 07:40 PM

Mine broke,,,
Posted Image

The Honda shop wanted about $80 for the OEM part
Posted Image

So,,, I glued together the plastic with super glue, and reverse engineered the part.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Had a local machine shop bang out the parts from aluminum hex stock (cost about $80)
Posted Image

And used JB Weld to fix the threaded part to the body.
Posted Image

No more problems!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 12, 2010 - 04:50 AM

Mine broke,,,
Posted Image

Posted Image

So,,, I glued together the plastic with super glue, and reverse engineered the part.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Had a local machine shop bang out the parts from aluminum hex stock (cost about $80)
Posted Image

Posted Image

No more problems!

So the end part (the slide valve) comes off the end of the cable?

That makes a fix much easier.

Dave

• Kenzo

Posted August 12, 2010 - 07:01 AM

So the end part (the slide valve) comes off the end of the cable?

That makes a fix much easier.

Dave

yeah Dave there's a small clip u remove and it comes off the carb-end of the cable...:banana:

...u can see the slot for the clip in the pics. :lol:

the problem is Honda does not sell the plastic nut as a seperate part... :lol:

...maybe one of the carb suppliers? :eek:

i sent my spare(after R carb swap) plastic nut to one of the guys who stripped his.

;)

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 12, 2010 - 08:35 AM

Mine broke,,,

No more problems!

So the machine shop had a limitation and had to make the threaded part separate?

Dave

• NOV8TR

Posted August 12, 2010 - 06:37 PM

No, the shop could have made it from a single billet of material.
I choose to make two separate pieces to reduce the cost, and eliminate the need for a thread relief cut at the base of the nut. A relief cut would have resulted in a reduced surface contact area on the threads in the carb body. The carb body (being a cast part) I assumed to be made of a softer and probably non-tempered aluminum alloy. I wanted all the thread contact area I could get to keep from messing up the threads in the carb body when tightening up the nut, and making the part this way allowed that to happen.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.