A cure for the fork bottoming on track jumps

10 replies to this topic
  • odonnks

Posted June 16, 2006 - 05:22 PM

My wife and I were spectating at the local track a few days ago and I commented on how much I love my WR but when hitting jumps it bottoms the front forks and I don't want to make the suspension to stiff because the woods performance is perfect for me.
I said something along the lines of having a 2nd bike that was more track tuned. She said it made sense. After that all I heard was Blah blah blah as my mind raced.

She left for a few days to Vermont Thursday morning. And would you know that's the same day the local classified weekly comes out. I looked everywhere for a YZ (2 or 4 stroke) Most were pretty whipped sounding. then I see an add for a 03 CRF with a claimed 20 (aprox) hours. I'm aware of the Honda valve issues but had to call and go look.

The thing was pretty nice. Original 44 yr old owner who rode woods around his house. Looked hardly used and no indications of being dropped. Had all the Works Connection armor and adj. clutch / hs lever perch.

Again my pref was a blue one but I couldn't pass this up and got it for $2900 with accessories, riding gear, spare chain, sprocket and a few new oil filters.
I plan to trail ride the WR and whip this on the track and trade it on a YZ450F when they have EFI.

That'll teach her to leave me alone for the weekend.

• clark4131

Posted June 16, 2006 - 05:25 PM

[COLOR=Red]TRAITOR!!!![/COLOR] :busted: :excuseme: :bonk: :p :bonk: ...SC

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 16, 2006 - 05:27 PM

Traitor! :bonk: :busted:

j/k nice bike and definately a good price! :excuseme:

• odonnks

Posted June 16, 2006 - 05:38 PM

I was almost afraid to tell on my self...I'm still true blue but I just had to. It's the best way to a YZ while keeping my WR.

• MountainMax

Posted June 17, 2006 - 04:56 AM

Hopefully you wont have the CRF long and you can trade her in on a nice Blue YZ forsure, Hope you bought lots of spare valves for the Red Toy.... :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted June 17, 2006 - 08:04 AM

I don't understand why the stock valves are so bad. With the TRX450s the valves are holding pretty good. They actually tear up less when they are sent to California with $3500 and are not Honda anymore.

• Beejay

Posted June 17, 2006 - 02:44 PM

Thats a pretty neat looking 03, but yes I have to agree with the others here & say TRAITOR, as well :excuseme:
I've heard the valve probs can be solved by replacing the titanium ones with stainless.

• Tilson51

Posted June 17, 2006 - 02:53 PM

traitor nice buy though and like the 1 guy said "Did u buy more spare valves?"

• odonnks

Posted June 17, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Its a track beater. If she blows...she blows, so be it.
I'm holding off for a EFI YZ and trying to see if PA will permit me to dual sport my WR.
I will say that the CRF runs quite well. The throttle response it very sharp. They previous owner installed a power now that I assume gives it that response.

Huge difference from the WR. On my test track the big difference is in the tight spots where the WR pretty much 'tractors' along and the CRF takes more rider input to get through.

Lastly, the Pirelli tires really 'hook' differently than the stock WR tires.

• OneToGo

Posted June 17, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Yep traitor or not a Very Good price -
Jealousy is a curse - now you got others looking for one at the same price!
Good one :excuseme:

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 18, 2006 - 12:09 AM

no Honda for me anytime for any reason eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Keep us updated on the relability if any on your CRF.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.