Oil Cap Swollen

10 replies to this topic
  • Winkel

Posted June 16, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Guys,

I don't remember which kind of oil I used last time, but my fill plug / dipstick has swollen to the point of needing a pair of pliers to get it in and out. It's not cross threaded, and the dipstick is not bent. Have any of you experienced this?

Thanks,
Winkel
2000 XR 650R
1500 miles
:excuseme:

• Max Power

Posted June 16, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Guys,

I don't remember which kind of oil I used last time, but my fill plug / dipstick has swollen to the point of needing a pair of pliers to get it in and out. It's not cross threaded, and the dipstick is not bent. Have any of you experienced this?

Thanks,
Winkel
2000 XR 650R
1500 miles
:excuseme:

Ummmm.... Nope.

00 XR6fiddy 15 000 miles :bonk:

• HondaXR650L

Posted June 16, 2006 - 11:14 PM

Nope...

• jamestoo

Posted June 17, 2006 - 12:32 AM

not swolen just done up too tight

• mgs781

Posted June 17, 2006 - 03:10 AM

Its not swollen, just cross threaded - get a new dipstick.

If you had put an oil into the bike that was capable of swelling the plastic dipstick, you would have much more to worry about than a $10 part. Every seal in the bike would be gone. I know a person that did this with a car (they put turbine oil in it) and the car was a write off.

MGS

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted June 17, 2006 - 04:40 AM

From new i could never get mine out with my fingers. The idiot that designed it is a dipstick.

• Falls A Lot

Posted June 17, 2006 - 10:27 AM

My cap didn't change size, but I always battled to get the threads started. Making matters worse is the proximity of the steering stabilizer and the Endurance odo mounted on the back half of the bar clamps.

So I cut off a huge chunk of the dipstick.......from about 3/8" below the full max line. Now it is much easier to get started. I swear less and may have lost a pound or two.

NOTE: Usually not a big fan of such barbaric solutions, but I had a new dipstick and o-ring in my spare parts inventory, plus, after so many oil changes I have come to trust the oil fill volumes in the Honda service manual and seldom use the dipstick.

• Winkel

Posted June 17, 2006 - 10:29 AM

I found the oil I used last time. It was Mazola something....... No really, it was Valvoline four stroke motorcycle oil I got at Autozone. And no, it is not cross threaded. Have been a gear head for years and it is not cross threaded. I've rebuilt engines, and do all of my own auto mechanic work. I've even looked at the threads through a jewelers loop and they are not damaged. I checked the threads in the frame. They are clean. It's not cross threaded. Did I mention that it's not cross threaded?

I will, however, order a new one.

On a different note, I did change the oil to Mobil 1 synthetic last night and it is shifting a lot smoother now. I still think the Valvoline oil was crap.

Winkel

• kellismechanic

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:32 PM

I hear ya, the dipstick is a PIA, I had to cut mine to fit my stabilizer also, it just gets tight, you get used to it, I would not use Mobil 1, it is a great automotive oil, but does not have the correct additives for the clutch plates, they will go south pretty quick, I use HR4 Honda 4-stroke oil, or use any Motorcycle 4-stroke oil, it will work better with a wet clutch, oh, the dipstick did not swell, and the other guy is correct, turbine oil will kill a recip engine, i'm a jet mech, if it,s not a viton seal, turbine oil will eat it, motorcycles and cars use Buna-n or natural seals. :excuseme:

• Max Power

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:46 PM

I hear ya, the dipstick is a PIA, I had to cut mine to fit my stabilizer also, it just gets tight, you get used to it, I would not use Mobil 1, it is a great automotive oil, but does not have the correct additives for the clutch plates, they will go south pretty quick, I use HR4 Honda 4-stroke oil, or use any Motorcycle 4-stroke oil, it will work better with a wet clutch, oh, the dipstick did not swell, and the other guy is correct, turbine oil will kill a recip engine, i'm a jet mech, if it,s not a viton seal, turbine oil will eat it, motorcycles and cars use Buna-n or natural seals. :excuseme:

So... you probably don't recomend WD-40 for my chain then? :bonk:

Posted Image

• kellismechanic

Posted June 26, 2006 - 06:46 AM

UHHHHH----- NO! He used Mobil Jet 2 :excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.