Who Rides their XR650's on tracks?

13 replies to this topic
  • BIGGITY

Posted June 16, 2006 - 12:11 PM

I took mine on a few tracks about a year ago and had fun. I've improved greatly in my riding ability and I'm thinking I should go give the piggy another whirl at the track. Amago or Elsinor is what I'm going to try. The piggy landed kind of heavy on some of the jumps I was doing but it was still a blast! Can't wait to try it again..

So how many of you guys ride track with your piggies? What do you think about how it performs? :bonk:

Obviously this bike is not made for tracks so all you other forum lurkers can keep your "This bike is not made for tracks" comments to yourself...Thanks! :excuseme:

• BWB63

Posted June 16, 2006 - 12:26 PM

I have put a lot of hours on the track for a couple of years. At first it was just the table tops I would clear, then I started clearing the doubles, I over cleared a set of 65' doubles and landed flat (that's more then 70') and it hurt. I no longer do doubles on the 650. Step-up's if there is enough ball sack that day or I get prodded enough. Mostly just table tops, and trying to keep a nice clean line through the turns. It is a work out but, it is fun and you sure get a lot of looks when you are clearing the big table tops on a huge fat pig. I still get the frozen in time feeling now and then, something that just doesn't happen on the CR250 in the air. I haven't taken video in a long time and most of the jumping I have been doing is on some big step over jump that everyone is taking turns on.....

http://www.xr650r.bo...om/bwbvideo.htm

Posted Image

• BIGGITY

Posted June 16, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Someohow I knew you would be one of the first posters! lol. I remembered seeing your video sequence so I knew there were some piggy riders out there that rode tracks. :excuseme: I figure that since I'm 6'7 230 I should be able to handle a piggy on a track. I can't wait to go try it out again. Once I get back from this 300 mile ride in Baja then I'll hit it up :bonk:

• Hd_hubub

Posted June 16, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Biggity - Please post after your track run. :excuseme:

To be honest, I've been a little too intimidated to take the BRP out to the track, since I've never had her more than 2' in the air.

• BIGGITY

Posted June 16, 2006 - 01:07 PM

To be honest, I've been a little too intimidated to take the BRP out to the track, since I've never had her more than 2' in the air.

For sure! I'll see if I can talk my fiance into going so she can take some video. You can watch first hand as I G-out the piggy. lol. I've launched the piggy a few times. Gone 40+ feet before but it was a high speed launch that I didn't go very high on. Also launched high jumps and flat landed before and that SUCKED!!!! One thing for sure is I'm only going to push it on jumps with a nice transition. Flat landing is brutally bad when your hucking 585 lbs of bike and man and gear through the air! :bonk: :busted: :bonk:

• weskc35k

Posted June 16, 2006 - 01:53 PM

If your track is open like natural terrain or European MX you will have a ball.
Remember brake pivot is out and flowing around the outside is in.
The big red one handles better than ya think on open flowing stuff.

• BIGGITY

Posted June 16, 2006 - 02:00 PM

If your track is open like natural terrain or European MX you will have a ball.
Remember brake pivot is out and flowing around the outside is in.
The big red one handles better than ya think on open flowing stuff.

I think the tracks around here are more SX style. It's not going to be a long flowing course through the trees. Turn, pin it, jump, turn pin it jump etc..etc.. Should be intersting! :excuseme: I've only ridden the old Carlsbad raceway & Elsinore on my piggy so maybe Amago will be more spread out...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted June 16, 2006 - 02:19 PM

If the timing is right, maybe I can show up to Elsinore when you go there. It's only half hour+ from my place. I haven't ridden there in years. I go to Parris, Glenn Hellen, Third Gear pinned was the best but, it's gone.

• 767driver

Posted June 16, 2006 - 02:56 PM

Ahh the tracks. I've been riding my BRP out on the tracks here in Texas recently and you're right, you do get some strange looks especially if you're sportin a 4.3 gal clarke tank LOL.

The SX style tracks are a blast, but they wear out my legs in short order. The biggest problem I've run into on the tracks is trying to turn in the ruts of of the little two smokers. I just can't quite get the ol'e girl to turn that sharp.

Go for it! You'll have a good time. Just check your ego at the gate because there's a good chance that when you have to go wide in one of the turns, some little 12 y/o on a 2 stroke 85 is gonna blow your doors.

• needsprayer

Posted June 16, 2006 - 02:57 PM

I roll everything except tabletops at NomadsMX. I learned on a banked oval track to ride high up on banks and I have taken that to the MX track. You don't have to be fast up high but you do need to be steady with decent speed coming into the turn. Mostly I like the turns (high and low).

Don't get lazy at the track or you will find the BRP going wherever it pleases. :excuseme:

• Thunderbug

Posted June 16, 2006 - 03:50 PM

I take my pig out on my track for a few laps before I come back over to the garage and fire up my 450.

After jammin the pig around the track, the 450 feels like a kids toy. I just throw it around.

Its a gas!

• BIGGITY

Posted June 19, 2006 - 12:15 PM

HD_hubub, well looks like I'm going to have to put off the track experience. Dislocated my hand and nearly bit my tongue in 2 (10+ stitches) going over the bar in low 5th. :bonk: :busted: In a month I should be healed up and then I'll get some video. Peace! :bonk:

• needsprayer

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:00 PM

Hey BIGGITY,

Sorry to hear that you got hurt. I bet you sound kinda funny. :excuseme:

Best Wishes for quick healing
NP

• BIGGITY

Posted June 20, 2006 - 12:08 PM

Thanks NP. I work using a keyboard and a phone so that makes things a bit tricky. Especially since it's my right hand. lol

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.