After Market Pipes Are A Waste Of Money?

44 replies to this topic
  • bluebike1999

Posted June 19, 2006 - 03:38 PM

the dyno answers the question.
most pipes in my opinion, are fitted due to habit, 'coolness', because someone who blows you off has one and other such self justifiable reasons.
why do graphics sell?

I accept that if you race for money and are sponsored, why not fit a pipe and help your sponsors bike shop sell heaps of them, thats marketing. If you are already using all the power your bike makes and 'NEED' more, along with a number of other things, get a pipe.

the mechanic i use told me that if most guys bikes are louder, they 'think,feel, beleive' its making more power. plus each time they do a modification, they go out and flog the bike harder than normal and convince themselves it's quicker.

i did a mod to my exhuast, and it's now easier to start. whether or not its making more power, i dont know, but i 'think, feel believe' it is. cost $30, so as far as exhaust mods it represents value.
unless your into drag racing, i dont think its worth the $, but if it feels good, do it.
again, another testosterone based market, basically unessential, the equivelent of cosmetics and face cream for women i suppose.

now i think about it, before a ride, several guys i've ridden with say how much a pipe makes their bike faster, which is good....we dont have to wait so long for them.

• Matty05

Posted June 19, 2006 - 03:48 PM

OK, maybe I'm wrong.

Bottom Line: Aftermarket exhaust systems are overrated and should be the last mod anyone makes to their bike, not the first. Suspension will allow any WR rider over 150 to go faster. HP gains don't make the bike handle better. Handling=speed and control.

It's a WR! On any other MX bike, yes, it may be a waste of time in terms of HP gain, but exhaust systems are not just about HP gain. They are all about usable power. If you want HP gain, get a supermoto system. You can gain about 8 - 10hp on a YZ450F. You loose all bottom end, but you have HP, right?

It seriously sounds like you have never had a good MX system on your bike or you would not be saying these things........
The WR just needs a slip-on muffler to breathe. Even when the bike is stock as a rock, the exhaust system is the restriction.

And yes HP gains can make your bike handle better. As you say, handling = speed and control. With what aftermarket exhaust systems do, broarden power, increaced torque, slow down revs, It is easier to control. You can keep it in gear longer. You can run a taller gear. In all, easier to control. When the power is nice and broard, your bike is not getting thrown around.

I whole heartedly agree with you on suspension should be done first, but on the WR's, it should be done at the same time as the exhaust system. If the PMB insert can claim to gain 6hp, then how much does a full MX system stand to gain on the WR? :bonk:

Put it this way. If my Procircuit exhaust system packed it in tommorrow, I would not put the stocker back on, even if I had to wait a month to ride my bike. I would wait till I had a replacement. They are that good. :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TWILES

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:59 PM

the dyno answers the question.
most pipes in my opinion, are fitted due to habit, 'coolness', because someone who blows you off has one and other such self justifiable reasons.
why do graphics sell?

I accept that if you race for money and are sponsored, why not fit a pipe and help your sponsors bike shop sell heaps of them, thats marketing. If you are already using all the power your bike makes and 'NEED' more, along with a number of other things, get a pipe.

the mechanic i use told me that if most guys bikes are louder, they 'think,feel, beleive' its making more power. plus each time they do a modification, they go out and flog the bike harder than normal and convince themselves it's quicker.

i did a mod to my exhuast, and it's now easier to start. whether or not its making more power, i dont know, but i 'think, feel believe' it is. cost $30, so as far as exhaust mods it represents value.
unless your into drag racing, i dont think its worth the $, but if it feels good, do it.
again, another testosterone based market, basically unessential, the equivelent of cosmetics and face cream for women i suppose.

now i think about it, before a ride, several guys i've ridden with say how much a pipe makes their bike faster, which is good....we dont have to wait so long for them.

I agree. People used to say my Banshee had to be slow and weak since I didn't have $3500 in the motor. They couldn't even hange onto theirs. The only things you do to a Banshee is good pipes, open airfilter(no airbox) and the DYNOPORT jet kit. It'll out run anything. These new 4-stroke motors aren't gaining as much with aftermarket parts because they are made to fly anyway. Look back at the YZ250's. They got just as good power with the stock pipe and any other. Someone who is telling someone to spend that amount of money on their bike is either getting their money from momma or just doesn't have to work that hard for it.

• dogbone

Posted June 19, 2006 - 06:12 PM

They got just as good power with the stock pipe and any other.

I hope you are not serious. If you are, you are an idiot. :excuseme:

• dogbone

Posted June 19, 2006 - 06:13 PM

I whole heartedly agree with you on suspension should be done first, but on the WR's, it should be done at the same time as the exhaust system. If the PMB insert can claim to gain 6hp, then how much does a full MX system stand to gain on the WR? :bonk:

I couldn't agree more! :excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.