After Market Pipes Are A Waste Of Money?

44 replies to this topic
  • CharlesFP

Posted June 17, 2006 - 01:17 PM

Take that 700 bucks you plan to spend on an aftermarket system and spend it on SUSPENSION—a mod that most people don't do that will actually allow you to go much, much faster.
All you need for the the GYTR tip for the WR muffler and you'll have all the power you need. Too many people waste money on mufflers just to make their bikes sound different and look cool. I read that dirt rider article and it simply exposes that all the fuss about aftermarket exhaust systems on MX bikes is a big joke. Stock systems on MX bikes have no flow restrictions and were designed to compliment each motor in a specific way, with the maximum amount of power available.

• red7

Posted June 18, 2006 - 12:55 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing as you when I read that article in DR. According to their dyno charts, I can't imagine you could feel much difference from one to another but maybe the bike has something to do with it. Are the WR450s more corked and therefore open to larger gains than other bikes? IT's the only thing I can think of because that article made me rethink if a exhaust is worth it.

• Matty05

Posted June 18, 2006 - 05:36 AM

Well 580 bux plus tax is not a good option for me to gain a big? 1.5 horsepower on top end? That dont sound like big gains to me . I don't even think any normal rider will feel 1.5 horsepower IMHO.........

You forget that this is a WR that is choked up to the max. You gain more than 1.5 hp by pulling the grey wire..........
Those replacement tips say thay gain 6hp. I don't doubt it.

• Matty05

Posted June 18, 2006 - 05:41 AM

Take that 700 bucks you plan to spend on an aftermarket system and spend it on SUSPENSION—a mod that most people don't do that will actually allow you to go much, much faster.
All you need for the the GYTR tip for the WR muffler and you'll have all the power you need. Too many people waste money on mufflers just to make their bikes sound different and look cool. I read that dirt rider article and it simply exposes that all the fuss about aftermarket exhaust systems on MX bikes is a big joke. Stock systems on MX bikes have no flow restrictions and were designed to compliment each motor in a specific way, with the maximum amount of power available.

You forget that aftermarket exhausts offer much much more than a tip can ever provide. The stock exhaust system is produced with cost being the number one factor.

BTW, dirt rider sucks ass! :excuseme:

• dogbone

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:52 AM

Stock systems on MX bikes have no flow restrictions and were designed to compliment each motor in a specific way, with the maximum amount of power available.

They have NEVER ever had max power available. :excuseme:

• dogbone

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Are the WR450s more corked and therefore open to larger gains than other bikes?

Yes, any one can see that!!!!
They come with a exhaust tip that your thumb won't even fit in!

• dogbone

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:01 AM

Never compare a WR450 to a 450 MX bike, there is about 10hp difference minimum.

You obviously don't know what power is, or what an aftermarket system can do for a bike, and a MX bike at that.

The GYTR tip is ok, if you have an '03 or '04. But then again, anything is bound to give a performance gain over the restricted up piece of crap they have stock. It does not fit on the '05+ models.

• dogbone

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:02 AM

Too many people waste money on mufflers just to make their bikes sound different and look cool.

No, that is what graphics kits are for. :excuseme:

• red7

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:24 AM

The GYTR tip is ok, if you have an '03 or '04. But then again, anything is bound to give a performance gain over the restricted up piece of crap they have stock. It does not fit on the '05+ models.

Why is the tip "ok" on the 03-04 as opposed to the newere ones? Did they change the design? I have an 04 and want to get a pipe but I really don't want to be any (or much) louder than stock.

• cat-alac

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:40 AM

I was looking at a recent issue of Dirt Rider Magazine where they test most the major brands of aftermarket pipes on a CRF250 Honda and a KXF450 Kawasaki. In testing each pipe they ran them on the Dyno and then show the H.P. and Torque curve next to the stock pipes performance. Some of these pipes didn't produce as much H.P. or torque threw most of the RPM range as did the stock pipe and the ones that did, did not show much of any increase. For instance, the stock KXF450 has 47 peak H.P. and the best a aftermarket system could do was around 50.
I am looking for input as far as anyone's experience in what a aftermarket pipe did for them. Did it mostly just make your bike sound better/louder and gave you the illusion that it ran better/quicker or did it give you very noticeable seat of the pants performance that you were able to compare next to your buddies bike by how much better it pulled or not. I would spend the extra bucks to buy a pipe if I thought it would be worth it.
Sorry about the lengthy question but if anyone has some good experience on this subject that they could share I would appreciate it.

I agree I was shocked at the dyno results... that magazine article saved me $800 bucks. I think people are still looking for the same result as we used to get from 2 stroke pipes, it's just not there with 4 strokes. Force of habit still makes a guy think he needs pipes.

I was going to buy a system for my 250x until I read that. Money will now go to suspension or a Rekluse clutch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted June 18, 2006 - 12:26 PM

True, a tuned 2 stroke pipe can make gobs of HP with a good combo pipe/silencer, however I don't beleive that much more HP can be made compared to lets say a Yz muffler wich has no baffles and large pipe diameter.

• Matty05

Posted June 18, 2006 - 05:12 PM

Why is the tip "ok" on the 03-04 as opposed to the newere ones? Did they change the design? I have an 04 and want to get a pipe but I really don't want to be any (or much) louder than stock.

Yes, they changed the design. The GYT-R tip won't fit '05 -'06.
They were also prone to falling out or something. Someone else might be able to help you out.....

• Matty05

Posted June 18, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I agree I was shocked at the dyno results... that magazine article saved me $800 bucks. I think people are still looking for the same result as we used to get from 2 stroke pipes, it's just not there with 4 strokes. Force of habit still makes a guy think he needs pipes.

I was going to buy a system for my 250x until I read that. Money will now go to suspension or a Rekluse clutch.

:bonk: Your 250x needs all the help it can get (just like the WR's)!

DO you know how much power a CRF250R has over a X? You gain all that power back with a pipe! :excuseme:

• red7

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Yes, any one can see that!!!!
They come with a exhaust tip that your thumb won't even fit in!

Dam, you must have huge thumbs. Or maybe my exhaust isn't totally stock after all. I just got the bike used a week ago so here's a newbie question. Does the stock tip say GYTR on it or am I stoked to find out that the previous owner put a GYTR tip on it and I didn't even know I had it? The muffler definitely looks stock but I don't know what the stock tip looks like.

• cat-alac

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:43 PM

:bonk: Your 250x needs all the help it can get (just like the WR's)!

DO you know how much power a CRF250R has over a X? You gain all that power back with a pipe! :excuseme:

You are saying full exhuast on an X will give you R power? I think not!

I'm glad you agree that the x needs help... yes I do know the diff in power stock to stock say an X would be 20% less than an R.

x to r needs: r cam, r head pipe, airbox mod, pink wire, remove the exhaust baffle, rejet. This gets the x within a 5% of the r. Grand total less than 1/2 what a full exhaust costs.

• red7

Posted June 18, 2006 - 11:27 PM

Dam, you must have huge thumbs. Or maybe my exhaust isn't totally stock after all. I just got the bike used a week ago so here's a newbie question. Does the stock tip say GYTR on it or am I stoked to find out that the previous owner put a GYTR tip on it and I didn't even know I had it? The muffler definitely looks stock but I don't know what the stock tip looks like.

Sweet, I searched for a photo of the GYTR insert and it looks like the one on my bike (unless the stock one says GYTR also) so that was a bonus on the deal I got.

• Matty05

Posted June 19, 2006 - 02:48 AM

Sweet, I searched for a photo of the GYTR insert and it looks like the one on my bike (unless the stock one says GYTR also) so that was a bonus on the deal I got.

You got lucky! :excuseme: GYTR is aftermarket, not stock.

• standup rider

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:40 AM

I appreciate all the input I have received so far from my original question. To be more specific, I have a 99 WR400 and when I bought it, it had the stock exhaust. The first thing I did was put the GYT exhaust tip insert since I heard how restricted it was. Very noticeable difference. Then modified the throttle stop by shortening it. Quite a noticeable difference again since it could now rev out like it was made to do. Then I removed the Grey wire. I noticed some difference but nothing compared to the first two modifications. Opening up the air intake was already done when I bought the bike so I don't know what that improved. Do not want to advance the timing to YZF specs since I like to ride tight single track and everyone has been telling me that WR timing is better for that. Bought the JD jetting kit and am trying to get better throttle response which I as of yet, not completely dialed in. Been working on adjusting the AP also to reduce the bog off the bottom when I snap the throttle but it isn't bad. I have a Powernow that I want to install but not before I get my carb adjusted closer to what it should be. I find doing two things at once can make things confusing if you need to figure things out.
I should have asked what a aftermarket system can do for you as compared to a uncorked stock system with the GYT insert. That is what I am really trying to evacuate. Thanks again for all the input I have been receiving here.

• CharlesFP

Posted June 19, 2006 - 12:09 PM

They have NEVER ever had max power available. :excuseme:

OK, maybe I'm wrong.

Bottom Line: Aftermarket exhaust systems are overrated and should be the last mod anyone makes to their bike, not the first. Suspension will allow any WR rider over 150 to go faster. HP gains don't make the bike handle better. Handling=speed and control.

• TWILES

Posted June 19, 2006 - 01:49 PM

I'm not going to say that aftermarket exhaust are over rated but they are a lot of money to spend on a bike you plan to " ride ". When you hop up a bike to race, money is less of an object. You are going for the best. When you are going to " ride " the bike its different. Personally I'd feel like an idiot pulling up to my favorite riding area with an $800 exhaust. I took the tip out of mine along with everything else and its plenty to ride with. If I was competing I'd have a different opinion. I agree with the guy about the suspension. I'd pull the tip and go with suspension upgrades. If you're on a budget the suspension would benefit more for the money. Hell if I wanted to pay $6000 + for a bike and dump $3000 back in it for upgrades, I'd bought another quad. I believe thats the whole point in this post. Basically it all depends on how much you want to get out of a bike that will be outdated in 2 years.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.