Dual-Sport rear tire life

6 replies to this topic
  • MikeZ

Posted June 16, 2006 - 07:53 AM

So I slapped a new Trail Wing on my XR650R for the start of M/C season in the NorthWest.

Only a couple dirt rides, 99% road riding. So in about 1000 miles, this rear tire is showing serious wear.The knobs are 60-70% gone in the center section.

This bikes appetite for tires is really going to cut into my gas savings.

Any similar experience? My commute usually consists of several inadvertent wheelies and slides, so it could just be me.

Also if anybody had a good street-oriented knobby to recommend, that would be great.

By the way, this bike is an absolute weapon for the morning commute. It slices traffic like a friggin' Ginsu. My ride is 70% road and 30% freeway. I love splitting those stupid metered onramps while the car folks wait.

Thanks all.

Ride safe,

-Z

• Mudshark

Posted June 16, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Sounds about right...
Check your tire pressure, don't run it over 16psi it'll run off real fast in the center
that way.
I got about 1600 miles out of my first set of Dunlop 606's at that point
both back and front look pretty bad.
I'm currently trying out a Kings tire like this one:
http://www.motorcycl...=647&division=6

Kings KT-966, I got the 4.60 as is was the closest to the stock 110/100
config. But after only 300 miles I can see knobby / tire wall separation.
I think it's from speed on the highways the tire gets too hot.
I've been keeping the speed down to around 60mph and it's not gotten
any worse. I like the tire on the rear, it hooks up pretty well, but I will
get the 5.10 next time though.
Get a MT21 front they hold up pretty well on the road and work real well
off road.

Your best bet is to get two sets of wheels, one for offroad tires. This way
you can use more streetish tires and save the real ones for the weekends :excuseme:

• jamestoo

Posted June 16, 2006 - 11:27 AM

i'd say 1000 miles was good mine wear out at about 5-600!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted June 16, 2006 - 12:20 PM

I've got 3500 on a MCE Karoo. A new one is on it's way, but the old one is playing in the dirt this weekend. :excuseme:

• 2000 xr650r

Posted June 16, 2006 - 04:16 PM

I ran a IRC 100% dirt tire. I ran it 80% of the time on the street and i have 1100 miles on it. Needs replacing. I could get much more becasue i did a few long burnouts and power braking with it. I am looking at the maxxis M6006 50/50 tire. Any reason not to get those? thanks

• Max Power

Posted June 16, 2006 - 08:23 PM

So I slapped a new Trail Wing on my XR650R for the start of M/C season in the NorthWest.

Only a couple dirt rides, 99% road riding. So in about 1000 miles, this rear tire is showing serious wear.The knobs are 60-70% gone in the center section.

This bikes appetite for tires is really going to cut into my gas savings.

Any similar experience? My commute usually consists of several inadvertent wheelies and slides, so it could just be me.

Also if anybody had a good street-oriented knobby to recommend, that would be great.

By the way, this bike is an absolute weapon for the morning commute. It slices traffic like a friggin' Ginsu. My ride is 70% road and 30% freeway. I love splitting those stupid metered onramps while the car folks wait.

Thanks all.

Ride safe,

-Z

Deathwings.... nice.

• Rockcrawlintoy

Posted June 17, 2006 - 07:08 AM

i have the kings tire they are talkin about i have 1700 miles on it and it is holding up great no freway riding tho. i have prolly another 3500 left on it

Drew

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.