XR600 hard starter?

7 replies to this topic
  • ram1000

Posted June 15, 2006 - 07:20 PM

Any common problems with these models that we can look at?

• kellismechanic

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:47 PM

What year??
Best starting on a XR600 is just past TDC, no throttle, kick hard, if jetted right, it will start on first or second kick when cold, choke on, once warm, no choke, same game, mine starts first kick when warm, just be sure you are just past TDC, it will go, if you have the older XR with the two carbs, good luck, they flood if you look at it wrong. :excuseme:

• DaveySprocket

Posted June 18, 2006 - 07:39 PM

Nothing specific to the 600r, just typical stuff like jetting, dirty carb, old spark plug, compression, etc. Does it start, but just makes you work for it? Any difference cold versus hot? I would pull the spark plug first, just to see if there are any obvious signs there.

Like kellismechanic said, a properly set up bike should start with one or two kicks.

HTH,
Dave

• Border Patrol

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:33 AM

if you have the older XR with the two carbs, good luck

The advice is the same...kick hard!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted June 19, 2006 - 12:38 PM

The hard starting reputation of the XRs is because it needs to have NO throttle ever when starting. And has a special drill which not many people are taught when they buy one. Wehn cold, around 0-40 degresws f, choke on or half on, make sure you don;t turn the throttle AT ALL, slowly kick it thru till the kick starter stops, pull the compression release in then carefully kick just about an inch, let the compression release go, then kick it like it took your last hot girlfreind from you in high school. Itll either start first kick or you MAY have to redo it just like this again, When hot or warm weather, just the same but no choke. Now, if it is a model with the dual carbs, this means the same drill but it will be harder to start unless jetted just right. The dual carb bikes were a little harder to start.

• cleonard

Posted June 19, 2006 - 01:42 PM

Is this a new problem? Did it used to start OK, but now it's hard to start? If so then there may be mechanical issues, like valves or rings. If not then kick it harder!

If you have stock jetting, a richer pilot jet can help.

• Border Patrol

Posted June 20, 2006 - 05:30 AM

Now, if it is a model with the dual carbs, this means the same drill but it will be harder to start unless jetted just right. The dual carb bikes were a little harder to start.

I guess mine is jetted right.

I never touch the decomp unless the bike has fallen over.

• DENNIS2931

Posted June 20, 2006 - 12:38 PM

Hey I have a 1995 xr 600 and I was going to street legalize It but I couldnt track down the original owner and get the title for It so I had to scrap the project. Does anyone want to buy a baja designs kit that only has 100 miles on it?
The kit retails for around 550 plus tax. Since I have no use for It I am going to sell It for $300. email me If you need this Dennis51475@aol.com (It also fits some smaller xrs and I still have the box and directions) Thanks,
Dennis

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.