Idle adjust

6 replies to this topic
  • CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 15, 2006 - 05:23 PM

OK, I feel like a moron, but here goes.

I have the Yamaha shp manual, and the Clymer manual. NEITHER has a description or name for this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

I know it adjusts the idle, put does it adjust air or fuel? I did the Cam mod to get auto decomp. before the mod I got started on the first kick on the Harescramble line EVERY TIME (provided i did the starting ritual. Then I went and rode in the snow and my bud fiddle withthe idle to help me keep from stalling on the uphills. Then I did the cam mod. NOW It starts and runs, and seems to idle OK, but I haven't been able to get a first kick start yet :excuseme: :bonk:

Not good on a dead engine HS start :busted: :bonk:

what exactly is this thing called. Which direction (CW or CCW) do I trun it to enrich or lean the mixture and properly adjust the idle?

thanks in advance

• ncampion

Posted June 15, 2006 - 05:26 PM

That does not richen or lean the mixture, it simply is a throttle stop. Turn clockwise to increase idle speed, however don't expect it to start easier.

• Matty05

Posted June 15, 2006 - 05:26 PM

It adjusts both!!!!!

It raises the throttle slide!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 15, 2006 - 07:03 PM

That does not richen or lean the mixture, it simply is a throttle stop. Turn clockwise to increase idle speed, however don't expect it to start easier.

So any insight into starting issue if it's not a mixture issue?

• Matty05

Posted June 15, 2006 - 07:10 PM

Set your pilot circuit correctly. Have you got an adjustable fuel screw?
If not, get one.

• ncampion

Posted June 16, 2006 - 06:00 AM

It probably is a mixture issue. When I went to the auto decompress cam, my bike became a little harder to start. then switched to Edelbrock carb and now it's a very easy start. Try adjusting the fuel screw to see if you can get it a little better.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted June 16, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Gonna ply with it tonight and see what I can do. Never jetted a carb before. It was running pretty darn good prior to cam mod. The Eddelbrock is a little steep for my budget right now so I'll see about getting it jetted properly first.

Thanks for teh help guys.

BTW Matty, what gives on the random changing avatars?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.