Good plastic hand-guard wanted with aluminum frame

21 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted June 15, 2006 - 04:51 PM

I need to get a good wide set of hand guards (blue/white of course) that have the aluminum frame inside for more protection, can anyone recommend a good one? any links or pics would be great......

• Matty05

Posted June 15, 2006 - 05:07 PM

What ever guards you get, get tripleclamp mounts for them!!! So much stronger than the bar mounts. I run Aussie "Barkbuster EGO" hand guards, but there are many good ones like the Acerbis "rally pro" guards.

This is what I mean about mounting:
Posted Image

• motoxer667

Posted June 16, 2006 - 04:07 AM

I use the ones from Enduro Engineering. They are great. The plastic guard is removable. http://www.enduroeng.com/ :excuseme:

• Summit

Posted June 16, 2006 - 05:24 AM

I also use the Enduro Engineering handguards. They're very tough. Dumped the bike hard a few times and they're just like new. Blue anodized frame with black plastic guard looks good!!

• Bamster

Posted June 16, 2006 - 05:38 AM

I use enduro engineering also. :excuseme: :bonk:
A friend bought the Cycra triple clamp mount model and the plastic on end bar mount (both sides)cracked after the first ride. Kinda crappy for a pricey item.

• GCannon

Posted June 16, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Cycra or Enduro Engineering triple clamp mount. May I suggest that if you are using a fat bar with risers(adapters to stock triple clamp) or a steering dampener/ triple clamp setup with fat bar ( like Scotts or GPR) you should consider the bar mount (inner) when you get the handle bar jacked up high ( in relation to the triple clamp) then you no longer have good positioning or fit of the hand guard. They are pulled down in front by the triple clamp mount and you start to lose hand protection. which is the point isin't it.

• Looks450

Posted June 16, 2006 - 04:19 PM

Get ahold of some Barkbuster "Ego" handguards. I hit a tree at 60 ks and didn't even break them or any levers fingers. Hurt like shit when i hit the tree though. Good guards

• MountainMax

Posted June 16, 2006 - 04:20 PM

Thanks, I ordered the Acerbis Rally Pro ones with the stock bar mounts as i have a taller and forward handlebar mount and the triple clamps are no longer a good mount choice like you said.....Posted Image

• odonnks

Posted June 16, 2006 - 04:49 PM

I ended up with the Acerbis rally bush hand guards.

http://i38.photobuck...ks/P1010013.jpg, very happy with the fit. They are not real wide but awsome protection.

• drtbk4ever

Posted June 19, 2006 - 10:00 AM

Anybody have any experience with the Moose aluminum handguards?

http://offroad.parts.../28/278/2758518

They seem to be a good price and fairly solid. And given that I have nothing on the bike now, anything would be an improvement.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SPLATT

Posted June 19, 2006 - 11:11 AM

Anybody have any experience with the Moose aluminum handguards?

http://offroad.parts.../28/278/2758518

They seem to be a good price and fairly solid. And given that I have nothing on the bike now, anything would be an improvement.

The Moose,MSR and the Enduro Engineering are pretty much the same guards with different stickers put on them.

Steve

• motoxer667

Posted June 19, 2006 - 12:02 PM

The Moose,MSR and the Enduro Engineering are pretty much the same guards with different stickers put on them.

Steve

I believe that Endure Engineering makes them for Moose and MRS, but I could be wrong. :excuseme:

• MountainMax

Posted June 19, 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hard to say, as they don't even have a picture of them there at that link....

• drtbk4ever

Posted June 19, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Hmmm, darn internet.

Lets see if the link to the TT store will display pictures.

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=553

And now that you mention it, the aluminum guards do look very similar between MSR, Moose, and Endure Engineering.

Thanks for pointing that out.

• Matty05

Posted June 19, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Get ahold of some Barkbuster "Ego" handguards. I hit a tree at 60 ks and didn't even break them or any levers fingers. Hurt like shit when i hit the tree though. Good guards

They are like B&B bashplates, Aussie only.......
Both of which are on both my bikes! :excuseme:

• kirkw

Posted June 21, 2006 - 01:43 PM

Tusk D-Flex. Looks just liek the Acerbis and ar emuch more cost effective. I have tested them recently with a very hard and fast get off/slide. The frame was ok, the plastic actually wore so thin it began to tear. My hands were on the bars at the time and I was very glad the sliding abrasion was on the plastic and not my hand!

• dogbone

Posted June 21, 2006 - 09:09 PM

Make sure you get triple clamp mounts for what ever you decide!
They are heaps stronger.

• spedyr6

Posted June 21, 2006 - 09:10 PM

I have the moose with the large guards. The large are made out of a flexible plastic while (I'm told) the small are a hard plastic that can crack and break easier. I am happy with the guards except for the mounting. It seems the renthals on the '06 wr450 are oval shaped right under the crossbar mount. Of coarse this is where the inner moose mount is, so you can crank it down, but if its not right with the oval shape, it only takes a small hit from under with you hand to move the guards up. So they are a little higher than I would like, but i have no other complaints so far. I did get warnings from people with acerbis guards though, apparently they bend a little easy and are never as strong after that.

• David37

Posted June 21, 2006 - 09:33 PM

I recommend Cycra Pro Bend handguards with the triple clamp mount.

• MountainMax

Posted June 22, 2006 - 02:54 AM

I have handlebar spacers up and forward so the triple clamp mounts are not an option for me :excuseme:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.