yz450 cams in a '05 wr450 = more juice???

2 replies to this topic
  • wrmotox

Posted June 14, 2006 - 10:35 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has experience in using the yz cams in the wr450 or wr250? I've got both bikes and a yzf250 and much perfer the yzf power band and pipey nature. Any thoughts about the modifications mentioned below or suggestions to get more upper end juice?

05 WR 450
Q2 pipe and header
Air Box mods
All the free mods
JD jetting (wow!!!)
iCat ignition capacitor
ZipTi Fuel Screw
50/15 sprockets
Mach1 motosport suspension
Baja Designs seat (Oh yeah...)

I tired of looking at the back of a BRP on the straight aways...

Any suggestions

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted June 15, 2006 - 03:20 AM

The Q2 is doing you absolutely no favors, but if you gotta be quiet, so be it.
A race pipe will give you most of what you need, but lots of DB's too.

The YZ cam will give you more snappy power, with more top end. I would like to try this as well as a lighter flywheel. I am broke at the moment, so it will still have to wait.

Do you find much difference with the iCat? You should have got a Vortex ignition instead.

• love2ride450

Posted July 10, 2007 - 06:44 PM

Being that IIRC the wr450 and yfz450 are the same cams, and the only diff between yz and yfz cams is the decompression tab location, I don't think it would help you. I think you can do the same "cam mod" to the wr as you can to the yfz, but you should check that. It would be essentially the same as installing the yzf cams.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.