no happy button after shim job...

7 replies to this topic
  • taksx

Posted June 14, 2006 - 10:00 PM

sup gang,

so i just did a shim job after (don't laugh) 1700 plus miles. first one ever on a 2005 WR450 no joke! ran like a champ, but 4 out of the 5 shims where off by a little not much but did need to get replace and open up the gap a little bit.

anyways i'm talking to much already :bonk:
so after doing the job, 2 trips to the dealer for the right pads,and buttoning everything on twice my push button starter does not turn over :excuseme: worked fine before never had a problem. i get the tick tick tick tick tick continuous but does not role over...what gives?
is there a wire i might of pinch while doing the shim pads
maybe not enough juice in the battery
or is my starter just simply burnt out

like to get some input if anybody has had this problem, and or bad starter confessions.

thanxs, eddie

• OlaGB

Posted June 15, 2006 - 02:18 AM

What clearances did you set on the exhaust side shims? Sounds like you hav to much gap, making less decomp than it should..

• taksx

Posted June 15, 2006 - 08:56 AM

i doubt it there within specs 15mm i'll have to go back and look at my notes and see where they are exactly. starts up fine with the kick starter but not the button.

thanks for the reply gives me something to think about :excuseme:

• Yamahondaha

Posted June 15, 2006 - 09:07 AM

i doubt it there within specs 15mm i'll have to go back and look at my notes and see where they are exactly. starts up fine with the kick starter but not the button.

thanks for the reply gives me something to think about :excuseme:

you must mean 0.15mm. Check the auto decompresser function with the kick start to see if you can kick it over with little effort, if so try to jump start the bike with another 12v battery (even your car will work) or a battery charger. How long was it down for repairs?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tshe1

Posted June 15, 2006 - 09:24 AM

who did the reshim?
when reshim, you remove the cams caps and the timing chain.
when install them, did you timing it o.k (at T.D.C, marks on cams?)?
if you put shim that is going to close your gap and close the cams not in timing, you can face a situation that at T.D.C when the valves suppose to be close, it might be open a little. in that situation their is a release of compression and you will not able to start.
check if you have compression with your kik (if it has a leak of compression it is easy to kik, even with your hand!)
also check if the spark plug is tighten.

• WGP

Posted June 15, 2006 - 12:38 PM

Every once in a while my starter does the same thing...Tick,Tick,Tick,tick...I think its due to not having enough juice to turn. And sometimes it makes this wierd winding noise, both happen every once in a while...

I just use the kicker and ride.... the next time i go to ride ..works fine... :excuseme:

I don't think it related to your shim job, especially if you can kick it over.

• trailordune

Posted June 15, 2006 - 12:47 PM

charge your battery, it's dead. that's why it's clicking. if it runs fine when you kick start it just go for a ride or charge the battery. :excuseme:

• Numskull

Posted June 15, 2006 - 04:35 PM

ya it sounds like low battery juice causing the solenoid to switch(click,click,click). Could be a bad battery or your charging system.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.