rebuilt engine

6 replies to this topic
  • MXH

Posted November 04, 2001 - 11:39 PM

I've just put a new piston in a freshly replated bore (don't lose your drain bolt whilst riding - it gets expensive!) and have noticed a couple of things the bike does that it didn't do before.

a) It doesn't tick over as reliably. Even when holding it on part throttle it will sometimes just 'pop' and die. Never did this before the rebuild.

:) Sometimes (but not all the time) When trying to start it, it won't kick all the way through the stroke, but stops half way as though I've come up against compression again.

Bear in mind that I've had the bike for 18 months so know it quite well, and these things didn't happen before the rebuild.

Only thing I can think of is that originally I didn't change to YZ timing until the bike was 6 months old (and therefore well run in). I've set it up with YZ timing with the new piston, so maybe it will settle down when I've done a few meetings?

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted November 05, 2001 - 03:58 AM

Just to make sure! ( not doubting your ability sir ) New gaskets and a torque wrench used at build-up? Ring end gap done? Valve shims at spec? No leakage at carb. junction or aitrbox? ( need to eliminate the obvious first )

Gey back to us sson, we will try our best.

Take, care.

• tbronco

Posted November 05, 2001 - 04:27 AM

Yes, those cam bearing caps are a soft material. it is possible to have them seize or gall after improper assembly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SFO

Posted November 05, 2001 - 05:55 AM

I noticed after rebuilbing my 426 that it has taken about 7-10 gallons of fuel for the thing to get back to normal.
It starts easier now and stalls less...

• MXH

Posted November 05, 2001 - 07:44 AM

Hugh,

New gaskets - check
torque wrench used at build-up - check
Ring end gap done - new rings, ends positioned as per the manual
Valve shims at spec - check
No leakage at carb junction or aitrbox - carb wasn't removed, just disconnected from head. Seems to be back in place OK

It seems fine when it's running, it's just these two little things that make me a bit nervous!!

Mike

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: MXH ]

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted November 05, 2001 - 10:15 PM

MXH, what is the weather like over your way? In Montreal this time of year we average 5-10 deg. C. It takes considerably longer to get the bike up to operating temps and yes I am jetted lean as I did not update my summer jetting to winter yet.

Can this explain your lean condition?

As for the weird compression I am experiencing something along that line. As SFO said the break- in may have something to do with it. My compression seems to be getting better the more I ride ( I have about 8 hours on the new piston / rings ) If your valves are well set and timed and the valve caps are properly torqued as Thronco mentioned I would not worry.

Take care and good luck. Let us know what happens.

Just my .02 cents Canadian ( or .0125 US ! ) :)

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Hugh LePage ]

• TW

Posted November 05, 2001 - 02:32 PM

You might also consider taking the carb apart and give it a good cleaning, then go from there.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.