Anyone selling an '01 WR426 Subframe?

5 replies to this topic
  • LarryCO

Posted June 14, 2006 - 05:38 PM

Long time everyone! Surprised that I was able to remember my login and password to TT...

Somehow I managed to shear the bolt that attaches the subframe to the main frame (can't explain that one! ). My attempts to remove the bolt fragments from the threaded part of the subframe have all but failed, including use of an "easy out" and even trying to drill the sucker (and replace it with a bolt/nut combo). Short of duct taping 'er and/or removing the seat/rear fender, holding the airbox between my legs, and standing up 100% of the time while I ride, I'm hosed.

Thus, I'm in need to a subframe for my '01 WR426. Anyone have one laying around that you're willing to part with? Any ideas on how I could procure one (dealer's charge for a new subframe is ~$275 - ouch!)? For the person that can hook me up, I'd be willing to throw in all the jetting advice I could help with, and would even come over and wash your bike whenever you wanted. :excuseme:

Can anyone help a brother out?

Larry "used to be in CO"

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 15, 2006 - 09:31 AM

Larry,
I have one - IM sent with particulars.

Brian

• Yamahondaha

Posted June 15, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Long time everyone! Surprised that I was able to remember my login and password to TT...

Somehow I managed to shear the bolt that attaches the subframe to the main frame (can't explain that one! ). My attempts to remove the bolt fragments from the threaded part of the subframe have all but failed, including use of an "easy out" and even trying to drill the sucker (and replace it with a bolt/nut combo). Short of duct taping 'er and/or removing the seat/rear fender, holding the airbox between my legs, and standing up 100% of the time while I ride, I'm hosed.

Thus, I'm in need to a subframe for my '01 WR426. Anyone have one laying around that you're willing to part with? Any ideas on how I could procure one (dealer's charge for a new subframe is ~$275 - ouch!)? For the person that can hook me up, I'd be willing to throw in all the jetting advice I could help with, and would even come over and wash your bike whenever you wanted. :excuseme:

Can anyone help a brother out?

Larry "used to be in CO"

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/171093473.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lowry

Posted June 15, 2006 - 12:48 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...648971264QQrdZ1

• SRLMARK

Posted June 16, 2006 - 01:03 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Dan_from_HB

Posted June 24, 2006 - 03:46 PM

The only problem with a YZ subframe that I can see is that it's missing the tab for the coolant overflow reservoir.

I just did the same thing Larry did. That bolt gets a lot of stress, must be tight, and also sees water every time the bike is washed or ridden in rain. It's stress corrosion that does it in, especially when you don't remove it very often like me. I even put a little grease on it last installation, but it didn't help.

I snapped off an easy-out trying to get the threaded piece out. I also had to put thread inserts into the seat mount nuts about a year ago. Looks like I also snapped a weld on the cross-brace up near the front under the seat.

I'll try to get this one fixed. Failing that, I'll buy a YZ one on ebay and work out a tab for the reservoir. I think I'd rather have a repaired chromoly one than a new aluminum one. Especially at over $200.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.