L "wings" like Maxi pad "wings" The same thing?

34 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 16, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Wow, I posted what have to be close to the 2 top troll-topics, IN a post warning about trolling, and got a few serious 'hooks'.

No takers on the WD-40 topic, though. You guys aren't using WD40 for chain lube, are ya?

Anyway, the bike stock is jetted lean and has a huge front fender- it runs hot! Compare that fender to a MX fender- its a lot bigger.

Remove the wings and it'll run hotter.

The wings do scoop a fair amount of airflow over the head/cyl, and are most effective at medium speeds- say 25 or 30 up to about 50.

After a re-jet, they probably aren't neccessary. Re-jet and a fender-trim, no worries about taking the scoops off.

Dave

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 16, 2006 - 08:09 AM

Isn't the new 2007 XL650L shaft driven? What about maxi pads? I thought most "L" riders used them? :busted: :excuseme: :bonk:

The maxi-pads make the seat bearable.
barely.

D

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 16, 2006 - 09:04 AM

The maxi-pads make the seat bearable.
barely.

D

:excuseme:

• pigryder

Posted June 16, 2006 - 09:23 AM

Wow, I posted what have to be close to the 2 top troll-topics, IN a post warning about trolling, and got a few serious 'hooks'.

No takers on the WD-40 topic, though. You guys aren't using WD40 for chain lube, are ya?

Anyway, the bike stock is jetted lean and has a huge front fender- it runs hot! Compare that fender to a MX fender- its a lot bigger.

Remove the wings and it'll run hotter.

The wings do scoop a fair amount of airflow over the head/cyl, and are most effective at medium speeds- say 25 or 30 up to about 50.

After a re-jet, they probably aren't neccessary. Re-jet and a fender-trim, no worries about taking the scoops off.

Dave

All the other XRs come jetted lean why dont they have wings :excuseme: :bonk: :busted:

• 4whlfun

Posted June 16, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Man I have been using WD-40 for years. Even use it on myself for arthritus in my knees and hip's. Works wonders on everything on your bike and yourself. Best snakeoil ever made :excuseme:

• 4Takt

Posted June 17, 2006 - 07:34 AM

I ride a '74 shaft driven BMW R90. The truth is that on a chain driven bike the rear suspension compresses when you get on the gas (rear end lowers). On a BMW the suspension expands when you get on the gas, and the rear end rises. It really does push your front end down instead of lifting it.
You can still wheelie, but it's much harder and very different from a chain driven bike.

The sideways force myth also goes back to old BMWs I think. Their crank is parallel to the bikes travel and when you twist the trottle the gyrational force makes the bike twitch to the left on its axis. Some people blame the shaft drive for this, but it's really the crank.

Those old Airheads are strange beasts, but you learn how to deal with the bike's quirks.

Remember how I said applying throttle raises the rear? You learn that quickly if you take a turn too fast and get off the gas in panic. That causes the bike to collapse and the cylinder head drags, levering your rear tire off the road and throwing you into the ditch. You have to stay on the gas in turns.

4Takt

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 17, 2006 - 08:08 AM

Some people blame the shaft drive for this, but it's really the crank.

Yep. Any old RWD V8 revved in neutral will do this...the car chassis torques in the opposite direction of the inertial mass spinning in the engine.

Remember how I said applying throttle raises the rear? You learn that quickly if you take a turn too fast and get off the gas in panic. That causes the bike to collapse and the cylinder head drags, levering your rear tire off the road and throwing you into the ditch. You have to stay on the gas in turns.

4Takt

Some bike magazines were showing how they could get both wheels off the ground, like a "bunny hop". LOL, this'd be a blast for taunting the cops (Disclaimer, I respect the police) just get 'em both off the ground, and when pulled over for your antics, ask him or the judge just how a bike can get both wheels off the ground at the same time. Sit back, and savor their responses.
:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 19, 2006 - 07:56 AM

All the other XRs come jetted lean why dont they have wings :excuseme: :bonk: :busted:

2 reasons-

1) the L isn't just jetted 'factory' lean, its jetted 'factory STREET lean' meaning EPA involvement (and ya know that can't be good).

2) huge droopy wide front fender designed to keep the rider reasonably clean. Its much wider and larger than a 'dirt bike' fender, so it blocks airflow to the head.

Dave

• pigryder

Posted June 19, 2006 - 12:09 PM

2 reasons-

1) the L isn't just jetted 'factory' lean, its jetted 'factory STREET lean' meaning EPA involvement (and ya know that can't be good).

2) huge droopy wide front fender designed to keep the rider reasonably clean. Its much wider and larger than a 'dirt bike' fender, so it blocks airflow to the head.

Dave

yeh but I think that the R comes way more lean and plugged up than the L ever did, and its not street legal here in the states :excuseme: Im not comparing the cooling designs but the amount of plugged upness :bonk:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 19, 2006 - 01:24 PM

yeh but I think that the R comes way more lean and plugged up than the L ever did, and its not street legal here in the states :excuseme: Im not comparing the cooling designs but the amount of plugged upness :bonk:

The plugged-up-ed-ness doesn't make it run hotter in of itself (although having to beat on it because its plugged up might).

The L is jetted leaner than the R from the factory, I warrant.

Its lean, lean, lean, waaaay fricken' lean.

Dave

• pigryder

Posted June 19, 2006 - 03:30 PM

The plugged-up-ed-ness doesn't make it run hotter in of itself (although having to beat on it because its plugged up might).

The L is jetted leaner than the R from the factory, I warrant.

Its lean, lean, lean, waaaay fricken' lean.

Dave

but would you say the L is leaner from factory than the R :excuseme:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 20, 2006 - 07:44 AM

but would you say the L is leaner from factory than the R :excuseme:

Probably, but I haven't had to rejet an R.

I do know if you outfit a stock L with a dipstick-thermometer, and go for a ride, and then remove the wings, and go for a ride, you'll see a fair difference in the oil temp.

On the L when you upgrade the air filter from paper to foam the rejet is:

pilot, 52->55
main, 155->158
needle, raise 0.030 inches.

That's quite a bit of a mixture change, but I don't know how much of that rejet you don't need if you're using the paper filter.

Dave

• pigryder

Posted June 20, 2006 - 09:12 AM

Probably, but I haven't had to rejet an R.

I do know if you outfit a stock L with a dipstick-thermometer, and go for a ride, and then remove the wings, and go for a ride, you'll see a fair difference in the oil temp.

On the L when you upgrade the air filter from paper to foam the rejet is:

pilot, 52->55
main, 155->158
needle, raise 0.030 inches.

That's quite a bit of a mixture change, but I don't know how much of that rejet you don't need if you're using the paper filter.

Dave

well I have uncorked both of my pigs L and R and would have to say that the most noticeable increase in power and performance would have to be from the R, power wise stock was like a uncorked XR250R

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 21, 2006 - 07:48 AM

well I have uncorked both of my pigs L and R and would have to say that the most noticeable increase in power and performance would have to be from the R, power wise stock was like a uncorked XR250R

We're not talking about the power here, we're talking about how hot it runs.

D

• pigryder

Posted June 21, 2006 - 09:15 AM

We're not talking about the power here, we're talking about how hot it runs.

D

actually we're talking about the protection the wings give your legs, or maybe not, hell Im confusiong myself now :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.