L "wings" like Maxi pad "wings" The same thing?

34 replies to this topic
  • pigryder

Posted June 14, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Hey guys I was riding the L the other day and looked down and happened to notice that the wings on the stock tank look as though they were designed more of protection like wings on a maxipad :excuseme: My legs were behind them like they would protect my legs from flighing debris, maybe thats why no other aircooled Honda fourstrokes had them :bonk: What do you guys think? :bonk: good theory :busted:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 14, 2006 - 04:04 PM

You're not supposed to eat the urinal cakes...

• HondaXR650L

Posted June 14, 2006 - 04:41 PM

You lead a very lonely life don't you? :excuseme:

• pigryder

Posted June 15, 2006 - 04:06 AM

got my bikes what else do I need?

• ghoti

Posted June 15, 2006 - 04:44 AM

They're to slow the L down so the R can keep up. :excuseme:

• pigryder

Posted June 15, 2006 - 05:01 AM

Dude I love both my bikes but the R would smoke the L :bonk:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 15, 2006 - 05:11 AM

:bonk:

that should stir the pot a bit!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 15, 2006 - 08:03 AM

Dude I love both my bikes but the R would smoke the L :excuseme:

Ya gotta watch out for the trolling that goes on- they're all trying to outdo my 'best bike in the world' thread, which didn't even start as a trolling exercise!

BTW, didja know shaft drive bikes can't wheelie?
And WD-40 is the best chain-lube ever, O-ring or regular chain, its the best!

Dave

• roadcam

Posted June 15, 2006 - 09:20 AM

Ya gotta watch out for the trolling that goes on- they're all trying to outdo my 'best bike in the world' thread, which didn't even start as a trolling exercise!

Dave

damn ... somebody shoulda told my old BMW it can't wheelie ... :excuseme:

• pigryder

Posted June 15, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Dave

My buddies got a old yamaha scooter thats shaft drive and it will wheelie with a little encouragement

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted June 15, 2006 - 11:09 AM

Liars. Shaft drive bikes CAN'T wheelie. It has to do with the way torque is transmitted from the crank to the wheel. If your shaft drive bike has enough power to loft the wheel all you're going to do is twist the bike over on its side straight into the ground. It's a fact. Get over it.

I wish you people would grow up. :excuseme:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 15, 2006 - 12:36 PM

Liars. Shaft drive bikes CAN'T wheelie. It has to do with the way torque is transmitted from the crank to the wheel. If your shaft drive bike has enough power to loft the wheel all you're going to do is twist the bike over on its side straight into the ground. It's a fact. Get over it.

Huh?
A shaft drive configuration terminates in a ring & pinion gearset. The pinion exerts its force on the teeth of the ring in the direction of intended wheel travel; ie: clockwise or counterclockwise, depending upon LH or RH mating), and the gear is concentric to the wheel. Force/torque is applied in this enrgy transfer path. Not sideways.

Moreover, the shaft's energy is purely rotational; it is held in rotation by bearings. the shaft does not exert any lateral force at all. the pinion and ring teeth mate in such a way where the energy is delivered into as much rotational force as possible. Little, if any, is lateral.

If this urban myth had any truth to it, all shaft drive bikes would quickly steer (right or left, depending upon the phase of the moon, or the flawed logic of the lateral force) if the throttle was whacked WFO while moving.

http://www.motorbyte...feature58_2.htm

http://groups.google...arch this group

What’s this about shaft-driven motorcycles not counter-steering or wheelying?

Balderdash. It’s a boring old joke used to start flame-wars and confuse newbies. It’s a misrepresentation of the story about why Boxers can’t wheelie.

• 4whlfun

Posted June 15, 2006 - 01:46 PM

I live in Arizona Get on the back of my goldwing and tell me it can't wheelie. All it needs is the extra weight in the back so it doesn't smoke the tire and it will wheelie. My shadow before it would wheelie and my 1976 goldwing would wheelie. Dude you don't know what you are talking about. :bonk:

• HawkGT

Posted June 15, 2006 - 01:50 PM

It was a joke fellas.

I'm the guy that posted the picture of the goldwing wheelieing in the Can't/Won't Wheelie thread.

ETA: I was gonna include that you'll fall to the left in the northern hemisphere and fall to the right is the southern hemisphere but I figured that would be over the top. Next time I'll make sure my sarcasm is so outragous it can't be mistaken for seriousness. :excuseme:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 15, 2006 - 02:24 PM

It was a joke fellas.

I'm the guy that posted the picture of the goldwing wheelieing in the Can't/Won't Wheelie thread.

ETA: I was gonna include that you'll fall to the left in the northern hemisphere and fall to the right is the southern hemisphere but I figured that would be over the top. Next time I'll make sure my sarcasm is so outragous it can't be mistaken for seriousness. :bonk:

No worries. Seems this "discussion" is about as old as Usenet. :excuseme:

• BWB63

Posted June 15, 2006 - 03:05 PM

Isn't the new 2007 XL650L shaft driven? What about maxi pads? I thought most "L" riders used them? :busted: :excuseme: :bonk:

• Few

Posted June 15, 2006 - 03:16 PM

Isn't the new 2007 XL650L shaft driven? What about maxi pads? I thought most "L" riders used them? :bonk: :excuseme: :busted:

:p :bonk: hahaha. jk.

• pigryder

Posted June 16, 2006 - 03:50 AM

How the hell did this go from the wings on the L to shaft driven wheelies :excuseme: And you guys still havent commented on my theory about the wings :bonk:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 16, 2006 - 04:39 AM

My wings are keeping dust from impacting the top of the shelves in my basement.

• ghoti

Posted June 16, 2006 - 04:56 AM

It was a joke fellas.

Next time I'll make sure my sarcasm is so outragous it can't be mistaken for seriousness. :bonk:

Good luck with that. :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.