Bib Mousse foam inserts

9 replies to this topic
  • MX813

Posted June 14, 2006 - 02:34 PM

What on-line shop do you prefer. Checked Shop.TT website and saw it was $148.46. Anyother places that are cheaper?

Getting prepped for Vegas - Reno (BITD series race) come this August.

mx813

• stevekanya

Posted June 14, 2006 - 03:04 PM

Try my buddies shop at 201-444-1908, they have been selling foam inserts for years. :excuseme:

• cleonard

Posted June 14, 2006 - 03:35 PM

Will the inserts even make it the whole way? I don't know about the road/trails that the race is run on, but I thought that foam inserts couldn't take extended high speeds.

• cracker1

Posted June 14, 2006 - 03:45 PM

you can get bibs from parts unlimited through any dealer and there are no deals anywhere. you will want to use a bib in the "front only" do not use in the rear as it will melt and come off the rim. they do not work well in desert type racing espeacially if its hot. the fron will last the whole race without a problem. use all of the lube that they give you and make sure you line the inside of the tire with lube also. good luck. and do not mount on a tire machine it will break the bead on the tire and you will dnf in 10 miles

• Crash217

Posted June 15, 2006 - 01:22 AM

Check out a set of Tire Balls. They are a little more expensive than the mousse bibs but they last basically "forever" and will handle the desert racing better

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • markvfr

Posted June 15, 2006 - 10:43 AM

you can get bibs from parts unlimited through any dealer and there are no deals anywhere. you will want to use a bib in the "front only" do not use in the rear as it will melt and come off the rim. they do not work well in desert type racing espeacially if its hot. the fron will last the whole race without a problem. use all of the lube that they give you and make sure you line the inside of the tire with lube also. good luck. and do not mount on a tire machine it will break the bead on the tire and you will dnf in 10 miles

I thought most of the Paris-Dakar riders use Bib-Mousse in front and rear... No? It doesn't get any more extreme than PD for prolonged desert/hot conditions.. :excuseme:

• MX813

Posted June 15, 2006 - 10:53 AM

The 3 of us are Vet B riders in WA. While we like to ride fast, we also know that work is sometimes the next day.

For the Vegas - Reno race, yes it will be hot, but I don't see us hitting 80mph for prolonged periods of time (I may be wrong)

Tireballz, I might check out these products as I know that Scott Summers uses them (it was endorsed in a dirtbike mag. last year) but for a single race, awfully frigging expensive (and it's not even my bike...)

dilemmas, dilemmas, etc...

mx813

• B. Radecky

Posted June 15, 2006 - 12:03 PM

I thought most of the Paris-Dakar riders use Bib-Mousse in front and rear... No? It doesn't get any more extreme than PD for prolonged desert/hot conditions.. :excuseme:

Your right they do and the MIchellines hold up just fine. I have had one set for three years and the rear is finally too worn out to bead up the tire. The Pirellies that I got in Czech are still fine as well. Also I wouldn't use the lube that comes with the bibs, go to a tire shop and get a tub of Murphys Tire Soap. Its the best lube you can get, and its alot cheaper than the silicone stuff. If you keep them lubed up well there is no reason that you couldn't run them for many races to come.

• cracker1

Posted June 15, 2006 - 02:34 PM

I agree for sure on getting the other tire lube but I would not use the mouse in the rear. I would highly recomend a bridgestone ed78 gritty with a bridg super heavy tube, lotts of baby powder and 16lbs pressure.front go with a dunlop 739f with a bib. I have used this tire combo in every national H & H and the baja 500 and 1000 with O failures. and I dont mean just riding these races I mean top 10 overall finishes in every round of the H & H's and 5 class 30 wins and 4 2nd overalls in baja. you may ask my partner surfnride if it would make you feel better. bibs are mainly for enduro and GP type racing. the bibs that blais uses in dakar are far different than you or I can get. I know this because he is a good friend and I have ridden his dakar race bike. good luck my friend I would not bullshit you

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:57 AM

Cracker1 is exactly correct.
Some people might be able to get away with TB's or Moussses F & R in long desert races, it all depends on how hard you're running. JAT was told to not run the TBs in the rear at the 500. And what ended up happening.....failure.
There is no way for any BITD or SCORE race I'd take a chance with airless in the rear, just aint worth it.
I am certain the "fast" guys at Dakar get special Mousses. Seems odd though, why don't they send those SOBs over to the US? We could use 'em.
As for the private guys in Dakar, I can't say for sure.
Yes TBs are expensive, but a front Mousse is gonna cost you +-$125 and it'll be toast after VtoR and a front set of TBs you can re-use over and over again. TBs in the front are totally worth the extra cash.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Tips for off road riding by Chris669

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  44 replies
Forums
Photo

Off-Road Head-On. Who's fault? by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo
California

Slow rider need technical riding tips by ukusa

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  25 replies
Wiki
Trail Etiquette- Hand Signals - last post by Bryan Bosch

Trail Etiquette- Hand Signals

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Wiki
DirtWise Riding Tip: Circle Rut - last post by Shane Watts

DirtWise Riding Tip: Circle Rut

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.