re-mating crankcases on my '03 yz450, any advice, pointers?

3 replies to this topic
  • yamasaki

Posted June 14, 2006 - 04:19 AM

hello,

i'm getting ready to put my cases back together... just wondering if there's any tips/tricks you guys who might've done this before can offer up?..

i'm specially concerned about the tranny.. is there anything special i need to do like shift it all the way to 4th or 1st before reassembling? you know, stuff like that.. :bonk:

thanks in advance.. i have the yamaha manual, but i always like to ask as well.

:excuseme:

• JetBlueJoe

Posted June 14, 2006 - 10:28 AM

Make sure you use a crank puller to install the left hand side as per the manual! I know some try other methods but is very risky.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamasaki

Posted June 14, 2006 - 11:34 AM

Make sure you use a crank puller to install the left hand side as per the manual! I know some try other methods but is very risky.

what is a crank puller? ive already put the cases together 'test runs' 2 or 3 times.. and i just had to give it a little wiggle here and there and they slide together...

my biggest concern is with the tranny.. i mean, if it slides together, does that mean everything is ok? or do i have to have the tranny in a certain gear or neutral ????.. that kind of thing....

is it possible to put the cases together and have the tranny not work?

the yamaha manual is not very descriptive/detailed like the clymer's stuff

• yamasaki

Posted June 15, 2006 - 05:08 AM

well, i bolted the whole bottom end back together last night. once the clutch was all in and torque'd up, i gave the tranny a few run throughs through all the gears up-and-down and it seems to be shitfing just fine.

now on to the top end...... :bonk: :busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.