Ktm fan on my 650

8 replies to this topic
  • thouk

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Hey Y'all,
I have been working on this for a little bit. I was able to find out from one of the guys on advrider.com about the Ktm fan. It comes with a mounting plate and wiring with a thermoswitch. I looked at his pictures :
http://www.advrider....highlight=xr650
I have made my own mount for the fan. I also made a small piece to fit on the top of the radiator so that I can have the thermo switch on it also. I have the thicker Fluidyne radiators so the fit is tight but still possible. I hope this gives y'all a little incentive. Have fun riding, Tony

• jamestoo

Posted June 14, 2006 - 02:03 AM

Any idea what model KTM fan that is? or even better a part number

• Chas_M

Posted June 14, 2006 - 06:03 AM

OEM KTM fan - - Part# 590.35.041.044...about $95 retail. Available 'Online' to KTMTalk members at a 15% discount.

• drtrider145

Posted June 14, 2006 - 07:12 PM

I have seen a thread where you can take a old computer cooling fan 5-15 bucks and make a simalar mount to put on you radiators, I think I've seen it on thumper talk , the guy even gives you pn's and a templet to trace your own mount, if I find it I will post a link

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thouk

Posted June 14, 2006 - 07:39 PM

DRTRIDER,
I looked at doing that. I actually bought what I thought were two nice, as in high volume flow, fans. When I mounted them they did not move that much air. The KTM fan is a Spal fan. Their webiste is Spal-usa.com. The fan's description is in the fans/motorcycle atv section. It is the four inch fan. If you have the stock radiators you could use the 5 inch fan with a little overage but the Fluidyne radiators do not allow much room to place the fan. I am supposed to be receiving the Trailtech Vaypor speedo next week. I am going to fit the thermoswitch from the fan on the temp fitting for the speedo. Doing that will allow the fan to have a more accurate temp for it's operation. The Spal fan has a lot more flow then the computer fans. I just blew my head gasket last week doing the motorcycle safety course on my Pig. Too much slow speed stuff for the pig without the fan on it. Now I will be able to deal with traffic. I am going to wrap the header during the rebuild. Have fun riding, Tony

• 4whlfun

Posted June 14, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Sorry I don't mean to change the post but where did you get that tail light license plate holder at. :excuseme:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted June 14, 2006 - 08:14 PM

computer fans are weak....they move almost no air....just enough to circulate the air in a cpu every minute or so....so its like 2 cubic feet of air per minute........almost nothing....

• cleonard

Posted June 14, 2006 - 08:31 PM

computer fans are weak....they move almost no air....just enough to circulate the air in a cpu every minute or so....so its like 2 cubic feet of air per minute........almost nothing....

While I agree that your typical computer fan is wimpy, they move a lot more than 2 cfm. More like 50 or so. You can judge the power of the fan by the amount of juice it uses. Normal cheapo computer fans use around .1 amps. They are quiet. More powerful ones make a lot of noise. If you look at some of the surplus places you can find higher power ones. For example All Electronics has one that is the same size as a typical computer case fan, but draws .5 amps. These move more like 150 to 200 cfm. It only costs $3.75. Even if it gets fried by water, or whatever, it's less than four bucks to replace.

The "real" fans are much better. For near $100 they should be. They are more waterproof and move more air with much greater force. The current for those fans is more like 5 or 10 amps.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted June 14, 2006 - 08:35 PM

While I agree that your typical computer fan is wimpy, they move a lot more than 2 cfm. More like 50 or so. You can judge the power of the fan by the amount of juice it uses. Normal cheapo computer fans use around .1 amps. They are quiet. More powerful ones make a lot of noise. If you look at some of the surplus places you can find higher power ones. For example All Electronics has one that is the same size as a typical computer case fan, but draws .5 amps. These move more like 150 to 200 cfm. It only costs $3.75. Even if it gets fried by water, or whatever, it's less than four bucks to replace.

The "real" fans are much better. For near $100 they should be. They are more waterproof and move more air with much greater force. The current for those fans is more like 5 or 10 amps.

Yeah, 2cmf was pretty low but i was making a point.....they dont move enough air to make it worth it....unless you get a really powerful one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.