Used 03 XR650R

12 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted June 13, 2006 - 05:48 PM

I found a CA bike w/ a "uncorked" motor, Clark 4.3 tank, FMF header w/ Wt Bros E2 exhaust, fluidyne radiator, applied triples, pro taper bars, skid pt, bark busters, , air box plate, 2 new tires, etc and "New Plastics". I have only seen photos, and it looks clean and the party wants $5000. Is this a "good deal" and or what I should look for when buying a 650R? Any tall tale signs that suggests big trouble or? My concern :excuseme: is new plastics, and all the "trick parts". What should I do? :bonk:

• BigBoreRacing

Posted June 13, 2006 - 06:09 PM

That bike without all the bells and whistles is worth about $3,000 Add up everything he has on it and I'd bet $5,000 is going to be well worth it :excuseme:

• philipstjohn

Posted June 13, 2006 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Any concerns on bike usage? :excuseme:

• adam574

Posted June 13, 2006 - 06:57 PM

as far as i am concerned i give no one extra money for parts invested into a bike. i paid 3000 for a uncorked 03. when i sell a bike i don't ask for more money because i have extra parts on it. i just consider it a selling point. but keep the price relatively the same.

if you are going to give this guy the money for his parts why don't you find a bone stock 03 with low miles and put brand new parts on it instead.

• Jon-D

Posted June 13, 2006 - 07:04 PM

as far as i am concerned i give no one extra money for parts invested into a bike. i paid 3000 for a uncorked 03. when i sell a bike i don't ask for more money because i have extra parts on it. i just consider it a selling point. but keep the price relatively the same.

if you are going to give this guy the money for his parts why don't you find a bone stock 03 with low miles and put brand new parts on it instead.

Good point Adam. The 2K saved by purchasing a stock bike could be used to invest in the items that you want on your bike, not what the previous owner wanted.

• MindBlower

Posted June 13, 2006 - 07:05 PM

no sheeit, I just paid $4300 for a LIKE NEW 03 with BD quick release ds kit, two new sets of tires, buddy pegs and less than 300 miles. "new plastic" means the old plastic was likely beat to death, all the goodies usually means someone was fairly hardcore. JMO

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motochris

Posted June 14, 2006 - 08:45 AM

I found a CA bike w/ a "uncorked" motor, Clark 4.3 tank, FMF header w/ Wt Bros E2 exhaust, fluidyne radiator, applied triples, pro taper bars, skid pt, bark busters, , air box plate, 2 new tires, etc and "New Plastics". I have only seen photos, and it looks clean and the party wants $5000. Is this a "good deal" and or what I should look for when buying a 650R? Any tall tale signs that suggests big trouble or? My concern :excuseme: is new plastics, and all the "trick parts". What should I do? :bonk:

Thats nuts. I bought my 02 with simliar stuff (minus the radiators)for $2500.

• BigBoreRacing

Posted June 14, 2006 - 08:45 AM

Dude....don't listen to "L" owners...its two completely different worlds.....the stuff you mentioned that is on the bike, is stuff you will want and need for true "off-road/trail" riding.....If you want to buy a "stock bike" and put all the stuff on it...go ahead, in fact putting all that stuff on your bike is a good way to get to now your bike all the better.....but in my opinion its a waist of time when you can get it one with it already done. (you'll have plenty of time to get to know your bike while your riding it instead of slowly buying parts and pieces off your "wish list")
Anyway...Welcome to BRP, whichever way you opt to go...you'll be happy with it I'm sure :excuseme:

• Desertskyy

Posted June 14, 2006 - 08:51 AM

That is a little steep. Even if it was plated that is still a little much. I am not sure that my 03 that is plated and has some nice goodies on it is worth 5K

• sandgrencivic2k1

Posted June 14, 2006 - 09:10 AM

I would take a look at it. You will know a lot more when you actually go and look at it. With all the stuff on it, I would say its worth $5000 tops. The biggest thing you want to look over, is the engine.

Just because someone bought new plastics doesn't mean a bike is tore up. You can get someone that can't ride that falls a lot. So new plastics doesn't always mean something is wrong.

I have a buddy that bought a used one, with some stuff on it. However he is having brass shavings come out of the oil, so he will be rebuilding the bottom end. Not much you could have done on that one, except drained the oil before he bought it.

If everything is clean on it, meaning look over the engine, wear on the clutch cover and on the frame, can determine a lot on how much or how hard it is rode.

• motochris

Posted June 14, 2006 - 10:00 AM

It would have to be still in the crate to be worth $5000. I wouldn't even bother going to look at it. You can find plenty of clean bikes for close to 1/2 of that. My buddy just got a 2001 with about 20 hours on it for $2400, billet triple clamps, aluminum skidplate, sharkfin, pipe, etc. It had next to no paint wore off the ignition cover. Mine had about 60-80 hours on it for $2500. You can find them all day for $3500.

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 14, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Have a buddy that bought an 02 with all the stuff(stock radiators) and a stabilizer for $3000. $5000 is out of line, the guy thinks the dual sport/plate is gold.

• creeky

Posted June 14, 2006 - 10:18 AM

Overpriced.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.