CR500 starting tricks?

17 replies to this topic
  • SCCRF450

Posted June 13, 2006 - 11:01 AM

I know ever bike is a little differant. All models have a couple little tricks my YZ426 was differant then the yz250 and differant again from crf450r

I just picked up this CR500 ('92) runs good and will start fairly easy when I get it right but not sure what right is yet.

So whats the process? Crack the throttle/pump the throttle/ hold Wide Open, kick anywhere/find dtc. choke it etc....

I think the compression might be low, doesn't seem hard to kick like I was warned it would be.

Thanks

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted June 13, 2006 - 12:34 PM

I have started all of my CR500s the same way:

Fuel on

Choke on

5-8 slow kicks to get the fuel into the carb (or put the bike in 2nd gear, rock back and forth to get the fuel started)

find TDC

Kick

Starts every time

• jbird710

Posted June 13, 2006 - 12:47 PM

Fuel on

Choke on

5-8 slow kicks to get the fuel into the carb (or put the bike in 2nd gear, rock back and forth to get the fuel started)

find TDC

Kick

Starts every time

Ditto. The '87 I have, you have to get TDC at the very top of the kick starter so it will get 2 combustion hits on the kick.

• SC_Spode

Posted June 13, 2006 - 12:49 PM

Fuel on

Choke on

find TDC

Kick

Starts every time

Assuming it is a cold start:

The above works or another variation is to lean the bike over until it drools out the overflow tubes a bit to give a real rich condition in the cylinder.

No throttle.

Once you find TDC, bring the kickstarter back up and kick it all the way through until the lever bottoms, like you're trying to stomp a hole in the floor.

I was doing it this way when I was 14 and under 100 lbs, so it's definitely about technique and not brute strength! :excuseme:

• Jaycycle

Posted June 13, 2006 - 01:04 PM

Whats TDC?

• SCCRF450

Posted June 13, 2006 - 01:09 PM

thanks guys that is exactly what I was looking for :bonk: :excuseme:

• gunner150

Posted June 13, 2006 - 01:12 PM

Whats TDC?

Top Dead Center

• gunner150

Posted June 13, 2006 - 01:13 PM

thanks guys that is exactly what I was looking for :busted: :excuseme:

Mine starts 1st kick every time with SC spodes technique :bonk:

• joman2055

Posted June 13, 2006 - 01:51 PM

my buddy had an 84 that he could never get started so wht he would do was lean it on its side and wait till fuel came out the carb vent. then give it a good kick and it would fire up. now he does the same thing with his kx250

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted June 13, 2006 - 03:18 PM

Mine is ported, the head has been milled off and all kinds of other stuff. I broke off 2 kickers before I learned this technique

Push the kicker till it stops...then just gently push it past the first bump, then raise it back up and kick it through that last bump. The flywheel will have enough energy to come around again and fire it for you.

The later model 500's had reliefs ground into the exhaust side to let some of the pressure it out.

• SCCRF450

Posted June 13, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Mine is ported, the head has been milled off and all kinds of other stuff. I broke off 2 kickers before I learned this technique

Push the kicker till it stops...then just gently push it past the first bump, then raise it back up and kick it through that last bump. The flywheel will have enough energy to come around again and fire it for you.

The later model 500's had reliefs ground into the exhaust side to let some of the pressure it out.

WOW thats sounds like a lot of compression. That thing must be fast

If I do a compression test on this bad boy what shoud I expect to see?

• kx_rider53

Posted June 13, 2006 - 03:36 PM

How do you find tdc?

• jbird710

Posted June 13, 2006 - 03:53 PM

How do you find tdc?

When you feel the compression come up as you're kicking the starter, it will suddenly fall off as the piston passes top dead center. It is something you have to practice a few times to figure out but is fairly obvious.

If you are setting timing or timing the cams on a four stroke, it's best to follow the manual's instructions. There's usually a mark on the flywheel that you line up with a mark on the case to find the precise tdc.

• XR250rdr

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Assuming it is a cold start:

The above works or another variation is to lean the bike over until it drools out the overflow tubes a bit to give a real rich condition in the cylinder.

No throttle.

Once you find TDC, bring the kickstarter back up and kick it all the way through until the lever bottoms, like you're trying to stomp a hole in the floor.

I was doing it this way when I was 14 and under 100 lbs, so it's definitely about technique and not brute strength! :bonk:

Mine wont start without giving it some throttle.
:excuseme: Otherwise that technique or pig_n_cr5hundy's technique both work.

Worn reeds or a leaking crank seal will both raise hell in starting cold.

• Knos_CR500

Posted June 14, 2006 - 12:46 AM

mine works the same as you guys but i give her a little throttle:D
just have to..... sounds so good but starts easyier since i rebuilt her

• idahoexcr500

Posted June 14, 2006 - 04:23 AM

For the three CR500s I had what worked well for cold starting was turn on gas and choke, lean bike over till gas came out the carb overflow. Then get kick starter at the top of its stroke and kick hard. Worked very well, later models (starting in 1989 I believe) have a groove cut in the cylinder that helps with starting.
When hot just give it some throttle and kick.

• jesusfreak

Posted June 14, 2006 - 04:06 PM

i hope you know hiw to start it now

• SCCRF450

Posted June 14, 2006 - 04:15 PM

i hope you know hiw to start it now

:excuseme: I know how.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Cr125 weird rolling noises and will not start! by Chowda5

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

1999 CR125R Choke installation? by josephduckworth

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

99 Cr125r not running correctly by josephduckworth

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.