revs don't come down after throttle close

7 replies to this topic
  • bentru

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:24 AM

I have a 98 YZ400 and recently it started holding the rpm after I pull the clutch in and close the throttle. I replaced the throttle cable but same issue. I have confirmed that the return cable is working properly. The problem must be within the carburetor. Maybe the spring that opens the butterfly valve? Anyone ever have a similar problem?

• WFOracer

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:29 AM

I had this same problem on my 250f....sometimes the idle would "hang up" and sometimes it would drop back down.

First I found out that my bike was running lean, so I bumped the main up one size and adjusted the fuel screw and idle accordingly. Worked for me.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:36 AM

A hanging idle is sign of a lean condition like WFO said. Adjust your fuel screw/pilot jet according to the sticky at the top of the jetting forum and you'll have that problem solved.

• bentru

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:41 AM

I would have never guessed, Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:46 AM

Yep, it sounds like extra air is getting in on the engine side of the carby, causing a lean mix, maybe just be a loose fitting. Does the fuel screw still have the o-ring on it(it may have fallen off if you've taken the screw out recently), or the fuel screw could have fallen out.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:53 AM

Oh, check the hot start as well. I like to put some grease on the plunger to help seal it and keep it working smoothly.

• bentru

Posted September 07, 2006 - 05:35 AM

In case anyone is interested I finally got this problem fixed. On the top of the crab is a dual rocker arm piece that pulls the slide up. The shaft goes though this piece has a spring to keep the slide down; it is held on by a screw and a treaded stud. When I took the crab apart this little stud was floating around in there. The problem is completely gone with that stud back in place. This makes since because as the throttle was closed the slide had nothing but gravity to get it back down.

• Dirty_Sanchez

Posted September 07, 2006 - 11:40 AM

I had the same issues with a hanging idle.

Changed the throttle cables..nothing.

Checked everything over, nothing..

Then I checked the hot start plunger and that was the culprit. grit and grime had gotten into it's little hole in the carb and caused the issue.

It idles right down now and fixed the problem.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.