Polishing Plastic

12 replies to this topic
  • Motorrider

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:06 AM

I checked the archives, and could not really find anything helpful, so here goes! Does anyone have any ideas or info about polishing plastic? (I.E. red front fender) I dumped my 650L on the trail, and scratched the crud out of the front fender and side plate. I used some really fine sandpaper and elbow grease to get the really heavy ones out, but can't seem to get that polish thing down. I bought some "rouge" and buffing wheels for my drill, but I think I'm getting the plastic to hot or something. I think I've just about got it, but can't seem to get past that final stage without gumming up the surface. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I posted the same message on 4 Strokes.com, because I know some guys don't read both forums.

• cleonard

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:51 AM

Have you tried actual "palstic polish?" I use it on my goggles. Keeps them crystal clear. Get it at an auto parts store. Plastic polish is a lot less aggressive than other polishes.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 13, 2006 - 09:17 AM

Sometimes a heat gun will remove minor imperfections and/or bring color back to faded plastic parts.

Something called "color back" may work, too.

As always, try on a test piece, or some inconspicuous area. (or your buddy's bike, lol... :excuseme: )

• Koko Azuela

Posted June 13, 2006 - 10:43 AM

There's a product called "Plastic Renew", it won't cover the deep scratches but it will give your plastic a shiny new look, good product, i use it when im gonna race and don't have $$$ to replace the scratched fenders.
They should have it at your local bike shop :excuseme:

• rzm

Posted June 13, 2006 - 10:46 AM

After sanding it all down with gradually finer grades of sandpaper, hit it with some 00 steel wool to get the surface as smooth as possible.

The shine comes back with a few coats of Mop N Glow. Put some on a clean rag and wipe the plastic once in one direction (don't rub it in). Let it dry for 10 minutes or so then apply a couple more coats the same way.

• BWB63

Posted June 13, 2006 - 02:52 PM

Soft Scrub Cleanser that most women use in the kitchen. Works great to bring back color and polish the plastic. :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR4DEZ

Posted June 13, 2006 - 04:22 PM

Buy a new fender or Rhinoline the old one black and don't worry about scratches again.

• Chickenhauler

Posted June 13, 2006 - 04:35 PM

Or try using regular automotive clear coat buffing compound-Acrylic Clear Coat is a form of plastic, and you can buff bike plastic with it. The type I use is a 3M product about the consistency of toothpaste. It also works awesome for buffing the scratches out of the eyeglasses I wear in the shop.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted June 13, 2006 - 05:24 PM

just get a new fender, there like 20 bucks.

• mxrider14

Posted June 13, 2006 - 05:28 PM

Use 200 grit sand paper, then 300 or so, then 600 finally. Make sure you wet sand with the 600. Then wait till it dries, and get a wheel buffer for your drill, and polish away. I didnt use any chemicals or wax when i polished it, just a straight, dry, clean buffer. And it was on a crf450 (red plastic).

:excuseme:

Wes

• XRsteve

Posted June 13, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I agree with mxrider14. Use a buffer with no chemicals. Maybe just a little fine polish, but I dry it without anything first. Keep the speed low and keep the buffer moving.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 13, 2006 - 06:29 PM

just get a new fender, there like 20 bucks.

That option is not very sportsmanlike. :excuseme:

• Motorrider

Posted June 13, 2006 - 09:27 PM

Thanks you guys. I appreciate all the comments, I especially liked the Mop-N-Glo suggestion! Reminds me of when I was in teh military, and some guys were using that stuff on their boots for shine. LOL! I would love to buy a new fender, but it seems like such a waste! I'll just keep rubbing until I can live with it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.