Swamped Bike Any Engine Damage

3 replies to this topic
  • finglan

Posted November 04, 2001 - 10:53 PM

A buddy of mine has a 98 Wr 400. He swamped it to the seat the other day. He has never been to T.T. He did not have the benefit of all the knowledge on this site. As a result he attempted to start the bike while swamped for several minutes. He flooded the motor w/water through the cam cover vent hose.

The carb never got swamped because after a new plug it started right up. On the first oil dump it looked like nothing but dirty water came out. The oil filter and frame screen was completely cloged with mud. He then dumped some oil in letting it drain through the motor into the pan. He changed the oil and filter four more times letting the bike warm up a little each time. After the fifth time the oil started to look and feel normal. Except that he says the oil felt a little gritty and there are small metal shavings in it.

After the third oil change we took the cam cover off and changed it to YZ timing. There was a little dirt in the cam area and at that time the oil around the cams was a little watery. They did feel slick though and fairly well lubed. He dumped a healthy amount of assembly lube over the cams and valves before putting it back togather.

The bike has been starting normal and running strong. He has only tooled it around the yard a few times to warm it up prior to dumping the oil. He is worried that the engine is damaged from the water. He feels this way because there was a little smoke from the exhaust on start up a few times after the timing change and the bits of aluminum on the oil filter.

I thought the smoke could be from the assembly lube dumped on the cams. As far as the bits of metal (possibly aluminum) on the oil filter, could he have scored the cylinder from the dirt and water in the engine leaving the bits on the filter. He said that he normally still gets a little metal in his filter on normal oil changes. As I do w/my 01 Wr with 600 miles on it. He is afraid to ride the bike and do more damage. He is thinking of sending the motor out to have the cases split and checked out.

Is this normal for a swamped motor. Is it possible that serious damage was done. If minor damage was done should he just ride it till the motor needs to be rebuilt. Or economically should he have the cases split now and have it checked out. I assume that even if there was little or no damage and the cases were split there are allot of parts that should be replaced. Since you are into the motor and it is a 98.

Has anyone else experienced this and their motor held up?

• Taffy

Posted November 04, 2001 - 12:58 PM

this is just about the biggest example of no win for anyone giving advice.. we won't hear anything if it's OK but if the advice is wrong?

i would suggest that he should have used flushing fluid and not oil but there you go.

the oil returns to the frame tube from where it drops to the first filter in the frame and then on to the engine where it meets another before moving on around the engine.

i think you're mates bike is going to be OK. there isn't a man of experience on this site who hasn't done something wrong and then found "little signs" of immenent dnger and peril.

i would ride it as is. i think he's got away with it.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted November 04, 2001 - 01:30 PM

Same thing happened to me. My cylinder IS scored because of it.

I re-routed the vent line up behind the front number plate, w/ some oiled foam inside the tip of the vent.

• Bryan

Posted November 05, 2001 - 05:24 AM

I completely submarined myself and my 1999 WR400 when it was brand new during a river crossing in Crested Butte (right in front of some jeepers dammit!). Water filled the airbox, carb, cylinder and exhaust. There was NO WAY it would start. It was full of water.
I drained the airbox and float boal on the carb, stood the bike up on end to drain the exhaust (lots of water came out), removed the plug and kicked it over to squirt the water out of the cylinder (right into my eye the first time). While doing all this I had the air filter drying in the weeds. After about 1 hour, I was hopeful most of the water was out and I went through the process of trying to get it started. It would fire, then nothing. So I removed the gas tank again, pulled the plug and kicked more water out of the cylinder. Then I tried starting again. I repeated this process about 3 times and it started. It actually ran fine all the way back to my condo in Crested Butte.
When I got home I changed the oil twice as recommended. During the 2nd change I didn't even see many signs of water.
The bike ran great after that. That was 3 years ago and I now have 3700 miles on the engine and it runs great.
If your friends bike started after submarining, then it couldn't have been as bad as my bike. I wouldn't worry about if I were him.

Bryan...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.