Hour meter placement on 06 WR 450

20 replies to this topic
  • sidewinder2

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:49 PM

I just received my Yamaha hour meter ( same shape as the sendec) and have
absolutely no idea where to put it. I've looked up and down on the bike but
see no room for it anywhere. :bonk: Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks
BTW, It's a 06 WR 450 :excuseme:

• sidewinder2

Posted June 12, 2006 - 06:52 PM

bump :excuseme:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 12, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Not much room on these bikes. How about somewhere around the headlight plate or under the seat?

Is this what you have?
http://www.sendecrac...0x_features.htm

• Desracer

Posted June 12, 2006 - 08:31 PM

I put mine on the rear radiator guard support bracket. I can see it through the shroud, and the wires are longer enough. If you dont have radiator guards back to square one.

• sidewinder2

Posted June 12, 2006 - 09:22 PM

This is the same size as mine.http://www.sendec.co...tml/80610x.html I think sendec makes them for yamaha. Its the exact same piece. It's only 3 inches by 1 1/2 inches but I still can't find a place for it. I've got Zyp Ty radiator gaurds but they sit right on the radiator
and I think it would be too hot.

Thanks for the replys so far and more would be appreciated!

• sidewinder2

Posted June 13, 2006 - 10:18 AM

Anybody else have any ideas? :excuseme:

Thanks
Sidewinder

• sidewinder2

Posted June 14, 2006 - 08:25 AM

Anybody else have any ideas? :excuseme:

Thanks
Sidewinder

Anybody?? :bonk:

• Few

Posted June 14, 2006 - 12:26 PM

There is a nice big cavity in the airbox? Is it thin enough to fit under the black right side cover? Just thinking of spots???

• Yamaster

Posted June 14, 2006 - 05:07 PM

I was thinking the airbox also. Its a covered area but may be hard to read the hours in there.

• Few

Posted June 22, 2006 - 08:05 AM

So, where did you stick it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sidewinder2

Posted June 22, 2006 - 11:28 AM

I placed it on the front side of the computer/ odometer box facing the headlight. With the headlight assembly mounted, you cannot read the hours or RPM. :excuseme: I'll just remove the headlight assembly once in a while to check the hours, not a big deal until I find a more appropiate place, if there is one.

• Few

Posted June 22, 2006 - 01:29 PM

I placed it on the front side of the computer/ odometer box facing the headlight. With the headlight assembly mounted, you cannot read the hours or RPM. :excuseme: I'll just remove the headlight assembly once in a while to check the hours, not a big deal until I find a more appropiate place, if there is one.

I thought it was just for running hours for service, sorry I did not know you wanted to veiw the RPM also. On the trail you will never have time to see/care about RPM but it will help in the fine tune of air/fuel in the garage.

• JimL

Posted June 22, 2006 - 04:38 PM

did you just wrap it around both wires going to the spark plug. I can't get mine to read anything.

• sidewinder2

Posted June 22, 2006 - 11:30 PM

did you just wrap it around both wires going to the spark plug. I can't get mine to read anything.

You need to wrap it around the actual cap that goes into the head. Just wrapping it around the wires is no good!! I believe the coil is in the cap.
You also must wrap it at least 3 times around and use a tie-wrap to secure it.
:excuseme: Hope this helps!! :bonk:

• sidewinder2

Posted June 22, 2006 - 11:34 PM

I thought it was just for running hours for service, sorry I did not know you wanted to veiw the RPM also. On the trail you will never have time to see/care about RPM but it will help in the fine tune of air/fuel in the garage.

Thats why I got the RPM feature also, for tuning and idle. You're right, seeing the gauge is the last thing I'm thinking about on the trail! :excuseme:

• dsalvetti

Posted June 23, 2006 - 11:13 AM

I put mine under the seat on the back edge of the airbox "snorkel"... I have a couple pics in the "Garage" section.

Some people say, "But you can't see it under there!" My theory is that it's a maintenance scheduling aid and not something I need to see while I'm riding... I wear a watch to keep track of time... and my seat comes off after every ride anyway for cleaning and PM.

~Dave

• sidewinder2

Posted June 23, 2006 - 12:43 PM

I put mine under the seat on the back edge of the airbox "snorkel"... I have a couple pics in the "Garage" section.

Some people say, "But you can't see it under there!" My theory is that it's a maintenance scheduling aid and not something I need to see while I'm riding... I wear a watch to keep track of time... and my seat comes off after every ride anyway for cleaning and PM.

~Dave

I removed my airbox snorkel so thats not an option for me. I looked at the pics in the garage and that is a good spot. Have you done any of the free mods...opening the airbox, snorkel removal, cutouts on side of airbox, ais removal kit, rejetting with JD jet kit, opening up the stock pipe, cutting or removal of the grey wire? these are some good mods that will open your WR. If you have already done them, then disregard. :excuseme:

• Few

Posted September 11, 2006 - 11:08 PM

Knew I would find it....

• papadon

Posted October 31, 2006 - 08:34 AM

I tried several locations and ended up making an L shaped bracket from thin guage steel. I mounted it under the on/off switch using the two existing switch mounting screws. It is now visible through the cutout in the headlight/numberplate.:mad:

• Chasejj

Posted October 31, 2006 - 11:09 AM

First of all. The Sendec and others are made of a fairly brittle plastic that tends to break off the screw tabs:banghead: cast into it when mounted on a vibrating beast.
I filed mine off and used a high strength silicone to glue:applause: it to the headstock area in front of the gas tank. This keeps it visible for the tach readings(I have that version) on my KTM 525. I use it to precisely set my idle speed when using a auto clutch(critical).:mad:

The silicone has never failed in 4 years

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.