clutch question

9 replies to this topic
  • kerry400f

Posted June 12, 2006 - 04:33 PM

i was wondering.....does neone that has a yz400f ever break clutch cables excessively and/or have a hard clutch pull? i break cables all the time and my clutch pull is hard and i just replaced EVERYTHING-pushrods,basket,hub,plates.pressure plate,and springs and my pull is still hard :bonk: :excuseme:
any advice would be greatly appreciated

• ben_suhard

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I remember there was a mod that some people used to do, I'm pretty sure it was on YZ400's, and that was to lengthen the arm at the bottom end of the cable so that there's more leverage. I think they just used to cut the arm and add a bit of metal to lengthen it. If you do this, you may have to modify the cable holder aswell, so that it runs in line properly or the cable may wear on one side (not sure if you have to do that, just logically thinking).

• jamieyz426f01

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:29 AM

Make sure your cable is routed correctly, probably the main cause of breaking cables and a hard pull :excuseme:

• kerry400f

Posted June 13, 2006 - 11:21 AM

my cable is ran just like the repair manual says....i dont kno but it makes me thinkin bout gettin a hydraulic clutch

• jamieyz426f01

Posted June 13, 2006 - 12:35 PM

that would solve your problem(s), go on treat yourself! :excuseme: :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Foxman06

Posted June 13, 2006 - 06:47 PM

i say, go with the Magura hydrolic clutch mate! Have you ever tried one! such easy pull, NO CLUTCH FADE! they're frigan awesome!

• kerry400f

Posted June 14, 2006 - 11:23 AM

is there any other way besides the hydro clutch?...bcz my cable is ran like stock but it still breaks cables like crazy and its like a 4 finger pull you cant do a 2 finger on this and as i said i just replaced everything in the clutch? this baffles my dad friends bike shop and me

• jamieyz426f01

Posted June 14, 2006 - 02:48 PM

where is the cable breaking?, at the bars?..if so try changing your perch and(or) lever.

• kerry400f

Posted June 14, 2006 - 02:57 PM

yes it snaps where it starts into the perch but ive had like 6 different perches and they snapped at the same place :excuseme: and now i gotta buy another perch bcz i just broke mine...any suggestions on the hard pull like its really hard to pull :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2006 - 03:04 PM

neone? bcz?

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.