chain and sprockets

5 replies to this topic
  • elcamino76

Posted June 12, 2006 - 03:11 PM

on my 03 yz 450 i have a 14/50 set up and i am looking to replace sprockets back to original 14/48. what size chain do i need. i think its 520 but what about links/length, (the number 120 hits me first but not sure.) does it even matter?? thanks.

• SureBlue

Posted June 12, 2006 - 03:58 PM

yes, a 520 chain with 120 links is what you need.

• DPW

Posted June 12, 2006 - 04:01 PM

114 links is stock and yes a 520. Does it matter...not really just put the wheel as far forward or back as you want and adjust the chain for the proper slack. I usually go with 114 links though.

If you need a chain PM me I have a Regina ZRH 520/114 sitting in my garage..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted June 12, 2006 - 04:47 PM

114 links does not give you any margin. Maybe 118 links is OK, but I like to buy 120 links and take away only what needed to get the wheel as back as possible. Furthermore, the small seller I buy from keeps mainly 120 in his shelf and it is not more expensive than the shorter chains, but it is guaranteed to fit almost any bike.

• DPW

Posted June 13, 2006 - 02:49 AM

Does it matter...not really just put the wheel as far forward or back as you want and adjust the chain for the proper slack.

I left some info out, but Sureblue covered it. What I was trying to say is just get the 120 and "put the wheel as far forward or back as you want and adjust the chain for the proper slack" and remove links as needed. 120 is pretty much the standard length thar chains come in when you buy them.

but if you going with stock gearing 114 links is fine if you like the stock wheelbase.

• elcamino76

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:19 AM

alright, thanks everyone

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.