Bent rear brake pedal

5 replies to this topic
  • drtbk4ever

Posted June 12, 2006 - 03:04 PM

Hey gang,

I did a search and it sounds like most just straighten the rear brake pedal when it gets tweaked.

So should I remove it and hammer on it, or stick it in a vise and bend it that way? Should I leave it on the bike and pull on it? Someone suggested heating it up using a blow torch, is that OK?

Thanks for all your expertise. I'm learning, slow but steady.

• Matty05

Posted June 12, 2006 - 03:21 PM

Be very careful not to snap it. They cost a lot of money to replace!

How tweaked is it? I would leave it on the bike but taking it off is very easy.

• drtbk4ever

Posted June 12, 2006 - 03:36 PM

Be very careful not to snap it. They cost a lot of money to replace!

How tweaked is it? I would leave it on the bike but taking it off is very easy.

It got jammed under the clutch cover so i had to loosen it to get the brake disengaged. Very little damage to the cover thank god. I read somewhere that JB weld is the stuff to carry to make repairs.

I am concerned that if I leave it on the bike and try to bend it back that I will damage the mounting point at the frame. Is that a realistic concern.

And thanks Matty, you have been very patient with all my questions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted June 12, 2006 - 03:52 PM

It got jammed under the clutch cover so i had to loosen it to get the brake disengaged. Very little damage to the cover thank god. I read somewhere that JB weld is the stuff to carry to make repairs.

I have seen people get home using gaffer tape! JB weld is a lot more perminant!

I am concerned that if I leave it on the bike and try to bend it back that I will damage the mounting point at the frame. Is that a realistic concern.

You wont bend anything - maybe the allen bolt - but the leaver will snap before that! The problem with taking it off is that you might use too much force on it and snap it. Just pull on it if it only has to go a bit. Go easy on it too.

And thanks Matty, you have been very patient with all my questions.

Anytime! :excuseme:

• bg10459

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:57 PM

They cost a lot of money to replace!

If $20-30 is a lot, maybe, but they're often on ebay for that much. I'd remove it, too, rather than break anything else. It's easy enough.

• Matty05

Posted June 13, 2006 - 05:46 AM

If $20-30 is a lot, maybe, but they're often on ebay for that much. I'd remove it, too, rather than break anything else. It's easy enough.

They are like $110 retail, or $70 here from TT store!
That is a fortune for a pedal. $20 is a bargain!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.