Aftermarket air filters for XR's

27 replies to this topic
  • Blome

Posted June 12, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Just curious if anyone feels a difference between the stock air filter and an aftermarket one. Also what jet's did you richen when you switched? I switched from stock to a twin air, now when ever I blip the throttle from closed to half throttle it bogs. When I put the choke on it fixes the problem, but I don't know which jets to richen up.

P.S. I thought I had the carb figured out and that the problem must have been my ignition, but obviously I was wrong. :applause:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted June 12, 2006 - 02:32 PM

Blome! What up brotha! I have a stock air filter on mine because thats the oinly thing the shop had in stock. I took it off one day to clean it and accedently rode the bike without it, MAN DUDE! the thing ripped with the air filter off! I know by that if I put on a K&N which is the same power as riding without a filter because they flow so well it will be way faster.....hows the bike? If you go with a K&N go up one on the main, one on the pilot, and richin the needle two clip positions...you allready have a pipe yes?

BTW.................sniper x here !

• MindBlower

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:37 PM

Blome! What up brotha! I have a stock air filter on mine because thats the oinly thing the shop had in stock. I took it off one day to clean it and accedently rode the bike without it, MAN DUDE! the thing ripped with the air filter off! I know by that if I put on a K&N which is the same power as riding without a filter because they flow so well it will be way faster.....hows the bike? If you go with a K&N go up one on the main, one on the pilot, and richin the needle two clip positions...you allready have a pipe yes?

Yeh, a K&N IS a lot like running no filter at all.
:excuseme:

• Blome

Posted June 12, 2006 - 06:34 PM

I thought that was sniper X. The bike is running pretty good (well it starts up it pretty good anyway). I'll richen both the jets, and the needle should be at the 4th clip right? I'm running a yoshimura on there right now might put on an FMF powerbomb header. Are you gonna post some more pics of the XR?

• weskc35k

Posted June 12, 2006 - 06:54 PM

Yeh, a K&N IS a lot like running no filter at all.
:excuseme:

I LOVE IT.

• pigryder

Posted June 13, 2006 - 07:02 AM

DUDE if your gonna run a K&N you might as well just shit in the air box!

• Blome

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:57 AM

DUDE if your gonna run a K&N you might as well just shit in the air box!

It's not that bad when you ride it only on the street.

• Blome

Posted June 13, 2006 - 09:59 AM

Anybody got a stock air filter and cage they wanna sell me or trade for a twin air and cage?

• pigryder

Posted June 13, 2006 - 10:45 AM

Anybody got a stock air filter and cage they wanna sell me or trade for a twin air and cage?

Yeh me! :excuseme:

• Blome

Posted June 13, 2006 - 11:08 AM

Yeh me! :excuseme:

Nah, I need it for an XR600R. Anybody else?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted June 13, 2006 - 11:27 AM

Just curious if anyone feels a difference between the stock air filter and an aftermarket one. Also what jet's did you richen when you switched? I switched from stock to a twin air, now when ever I blip the throttle from closed to half throttle it bogs. When I put the choke on it fixes the problem, but I don't know which jets to richen up.

Yes, there is a big difference. It also depends on how much oil you put on the filter. On my XR600 there is a huge difference between a small amount and too much. Too much oil and it is like the choke is on.

From the posts it looks like you have a XR600. It came lean from the factory. Most important is to go up a few sizes on the pilot jet. It's been a while since I've been in my carb, but I think I'm running a 68 pilot and a 158 main. My clip is set 1 step richer than stock. I also have a Thumper Racing insert in the stock pipe. The richer pilot makes a big difference in starting. My bike starts 1st kick almost all the time.

When you are looking at the carb, take a look at your choke plate. There is a steel flapper on a pot metal plate. The flapper and plate are known to break off and get sucked into the engine. When I looked at mine it was hanging by a thread, both the flapper and the plate! I just removed the choke completely. When it's real cold, I have to tip the bike over to "flood" it. I've started it down to 35 degrees with this method.

• Falls A Lot

Posted June 13, 2006 - 11:46 AM

Something else to consider.....

I have been using Ready Filters (pre-oiled disposable air filters) in order to save time and eliminate the mess of cleaning washable filters. In terms of engine health, I would rate them between a properly washed / oiled / greased factory element, and the "high flow rate" performance filters like K&N. I also use the Summers Racing inlet screen, which is less restrictive than the factory mesh screen that has a reputation of shedding stainless wire.

http://www.readyracing.com/

• Blome

Posted June 13, 2006 - 01:17 PM

Do you guys know if the XR650L is the same air filter as the XR600R?

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted June 13, 2006 - 01:24 PM

Hey Blome, Ill trade ya my brand new stocker for yer twinair. I don't have a cage on mine but it is stiff and works great...let me know, and no the 650 is different. Also, if you are jetted correctly now, and go to an aftermarket filter just go up one step each on the pilot and main, aand then move the needle UP 1-2 clip positions, maybe use a washer and move it 1.5 clip positions up that way if 2 is too much and 1 is too small.

• Blome

Posted June 13, 2006 - 02:37 PM

The only part I ever threw out was the old cage thinkin I would never use it again and now I need it :excuseme: . I stepped up one jet on both the main and pilot and then moved the clip down (needle up), but it still bogs pretty heavily from closed throttle when I blip the throttle. Like I said the problem is fixed when I close the throttle 1/2 way. By the way at the, my jetting is 168 main, 68 pilot, and 5th position down on the needle. With the stock air filter it was 165 main, 65 pilot, and 3rd position down. Sniper, are you saying you have just the filter? How is held in the airbox without the cage?

• hondanemo

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:14 PM

I've got an 'L
Had the twinair, POS in my opinion, but just an opinion. Went back to the stock, heard everything about the UNI filter and decided if the local shop had it in stock I'd try it out. It's frikking awesome! I feel the powerband a lot more now when on the street, and I feel like I can't run out of torque offroad. Could just be that I'm on a 650, but I think that stock filter is far too restrictive.

Uni filter + White Bros. E2 + new jetting settings is 'teh' awesome.

-nemo

• radvocaat

Posted June 13, 2006 - 09:33 PM

Do you guys know if the XR650L is the same air filter as the XR600R?

YES the XR650L and the XR600R have the same air filter! Not sure why SniperTeamBravo would say that, maybe he thought you were asking about the R. :excuseme:

Oh ya, and i've had very good luck with my twinair and twinair dust cover. :busted:

stock filter vs twinair or uni = no comparison, stock is the POS :bonk:

• Blome

Posted June 14, 2006 - 07:06 AM

YES the XR650L and the XR600R have the same air filter! Not sure why SniperTeamBravo would say that, maybe he thought you were asking about the R. :excuseme: :

I just that they are two different types of air flters and two different clips.
OEM+(Stock+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1997~model_dept_mfr~Honda~model_dept_id~170590~model_dept_name~XR650L.asp' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>XR650L Air Cleaner
OEM+(Stock)+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1997~model_dept_mfr~Honda~model_dept_id~171108~model_dept_name~XR600R.asp' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>XR600R Air Cleaner

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 14, 2006 - 07:39 AM

I just that they are two different types of air flters and two different clips.
OEM+(Stock+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1997~model_dept_mfr~Honda~model_dept_id~170590~model_dept_name~XR650L.asp' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>XR650L Air Cleaner
OEM+(Stock)+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1997~model_dept_mfr~Honda~model_dept_id~171108~model_dept_name~XR600R.asp' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>XR600R Air Cleaner

The clips look to be the same, just one shown latched, and the other unlatched.

The 600R uses a foam filter (stock), and the L a paper (stock), but the shape looks to be the same.

Dave

• Blome

Posted June 14, 2006 - 07:58 AM

The clips look to be the same, just one shown latched, and the other unlatched.

The 600R uses a foam filter (stock), and the L a paper (stock), but the shape looks to be the same.

Dave

They have two different part numbers.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.