Odometer drive

6 replies to this topic
  • Bamster

Posted June 12, 2006 - 06:38 AM

Has anyone ever replaced the little plastic gear at the front axle that drives the odometer? Mine has worn out and when I went to the dealer, they said I have to buy the whole unit (outer wheel spacer plastic gear and seal).
It's 139.00$. If you just pull off the seal the plastic gear slides out.
Seems kind of stupid that I have to buy all tree parts when the gear is made of plastic so it fails before any other parts do. I can't believe Yamaha would rip people off like that. Just wondering if I got a bonehead parts guy or if thats the way it's sold? Anybody have a spare one hanging around they want to sell?

• nitronaf

Posted June 12, 2006 - 07:39 AM

nope havnt replaced
having owned a trailtech i would say its a cheaper replacement
just lacks backlight really thats all i dont like about it
so yeah i thinks get a trailtech and a speedo eliminator spacer
oh btw compare yamaha parts catalogs to most other manufacturers and u will find yamaha mostly only sell in bundled lots.....GRRRR

• Bamster

Posted June 12, 2006 - 08:01 AM

I was thinking about getting a trailtech but a friend of mine who had one had nothing but problems with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Few

Posted June 12, 2006 - 08:21 AM

Price sounds about right, I had to buy one for my XR once.
My friend has the Trailtech, and likes it. The new one comes with a tach that might help with the fine tuning of fuel/air as a bonus?

• sheriffwoody

Posted June 13, 2006 - 10:03 AM

Where did everybody get their spacers from? I currently have a strip of duck tape covering the hole for cable! :excuseme:

• 1BLUEsky

Posted June 13, 2006 - 04:37 PM

Has anyone ever replaced the little plastic gear at the front axle that drives the odometer? Mine has worn out and when I went to the dealer, they said I have to buy the whole unit (outer wheel spacer plastic gear and seal).
It's 139.00$. If you just pull off the seal the plastic gear slides out.
Seems kind of stupid that I have to buy all tree parts when the gear is made of plastic so it fails before any other parts do. I can't believe Yamaha would rip people off like that. Just wondering if I got a bonehead parts guy or if thats the way it's sold? Anybody have a spare one hanging around they want to sell?

Check out Bike bandit .com. I think i saw that you can get the whole thing for about $74.Still steep considering you can get a computer for about 142.00 from Dennis Kirk.

• Bamster

Posted June 14, 2006 - 06:12 AM

I have a speedometer/odometer off an old DT.
Thats the only reason I'd like to replace the gear.
Anybody running a computer want to part with the little plastic gear?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.