03 WR 450 questions

6 replies to this topic
  • bigblockchevelle

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:21 AM

Hey guys, got some newbie questions for ya. I just bought a 2003 WR 450 and was wondering if these things generally make a fair amount of engine noise while idling. I have not heard another to compare it too but it seems to have a lot of sound coming from the engine that basically sounds like rotating parts but seems louder than any of the four stroke four wheelers I have had. Im assuming it is due to the cams, chains, etc.
Also, do i need a specific wrench to adjust the rear shock (stiffer). What does this job entail?? thanks guys

• Bamster

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:46 AM

Every WR I have seen has had a noisy engine.
It's normal.
If your 03 WR looks like it hasn't seen much use, make sure the woodruff key issue has been addressed.
Use a hammer and punch to free up the looking ring on the shock, with a pair of gloves on just turn the spring and bottom ring to the desired stiffness. Works for me.

• bigblockchevelle

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:50 AM

as far as with the starter not engaging correctly and screwing up the timing? If so, it has had repairs done concerning that according to the previous owner. I believe the crank was replaced under warranty.
I assumed that was the procedure for the shock but didnt want to screw anything up. thanks bamster

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StreetbikePimp

Posted June 12, 2006 - 09:29 AM

If the bike has a solid skid plate on it, the motor will seem really noisy compared to a quad. The plate echos alot of the engine noise.

• bigblockchevelle

Posted June 12, 2006 - 12:02 PM

It does have the skid plate. Can someone explain exactly what is involved with the woodruff key problem??

• bg10459

Posted June 12, 2006 - 12:17 PM

I can explain, but you'll likely get more info with a search for "woodruff key" in the WR450 forum.

• ETP

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:47 PM

I can explain, but you'll likely get more info with a search for "woodruff key" in the WR450 forum.

Good idea to search for more info. BUT note that the woodruff key is not the root of the problem. You should do the starter upgrade if it hasn't been done to the bike you bought. The search engine will yield mucho info on this.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.