Best fork seals?

2 replies to this topic
  • kid on a 426

Posted June 11, 2006 - 10:00 PM

Ok now before you get hard on me I already did a search and couldn't find a whole lot about fork seals. What have been your experiences with fork seals and what brand works the best and lasts the longest? I was thinking OEM but my brother said that aftermarket stuff like pivot works are better. Out of the first 4 rides on the bike 3 of them the fork seals leaked so I am pretty sure they are old and worn out because I let the air out of the forks before every ride. One trend I did notice though is that if the bike is tied down for a long time like overnight then the forks leak or even a long trip on bumpy roads make them leak. Is that a sign of worn out seals? But after about the 3rd time of having to fix the leaking(with electrial tape) I decided to pack in between the seals and the dust wipers with grease( not bearing grease more clay like and light brown color) and so far it hasn't leaked but it also hasn't been tied down for a long period. So do you guys think they are worth replacing? I'm gonna have the forks apart already to change out springs and put in new oil so seals wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DRH

Posted June 12, 2006 - 07:48 AM

I've gone both routes in the past with about equal results. I have also tried the cleaning route with negatives from camera film. After carefully inserting the negative film between the slider and the seal and cleaning the circumfrence of the fork tube you may be lucky in removing debris which had caused the leak. Unfortunately there are times when the seal just won't cooperate and seemed to seep without reasons. Thats the time to replace.

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2006 - 08:05 AM

Look into These. The out facing lip is much bigger and stronger than the OEM's (something more like the '04 & later)

An important step is to check the fork tube over very carefully for nicks and vertical scratches that are significant enough that they catch your fingernail. These will cause a repeat failure. What I do is to sand the tube in a crossing spiral pattern until it feels smooth again and the burrs are gone. Use 200-280 grit paper. After a while, the fork will refinish itself.

Before you put the dust seal back up, smear a little waterproof grease around the fork tube so that it lines the inside of the dust seal when you slide it up into place. That will help catch dirt that gets by the slider before it gets to the seal.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

• Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.