Flywheel weight? Gearing for woods?

10 replies to this topic
  • marcmo0

Posted June 11, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I have an '02 426 an ride mostly woods. Gearing and flywheel are stock. I am considering altering the gearing to 13 up front and keeping 49 out back. I have read from some of you that you like a 13-51...thoughts? Also I'd like to give it a heavier flywheel, but not sure how much heavier. I live in Colorado, ride mostly on technical trails, and the occasional desert trip. Anyone out there have any suggestions. I was thinking 10oz, but not sure what sort of a difference that will make, should I go bigger? Love to hear what you guys are running and your thoughts.

• kid on a 426

Posted June 11, 2006 - 09:34 PM

I have a 13/51 but would suggest a 13/52. I don't have any experience with flywheel weights so can't help you there

• srhines67

Posted June 11, 2006 - 10:44 PM

I was running a 13/50 but it was too tall for tight technical hill climbs. I dropped the front to a 12 just for kicks and I really like it. I have a really low gear for those steep slow root invested trails. However, I am going to drop the back down to a stock 49. This will allow me to run 12/13/14 up front depending on the kind of riding I do. Fronts are cheaper and easier to change. I think the 12/49 would be the same as a 13 / 52.

• Speedracer747-400

Posted June 11, 2006 - 11:15 PM

I also have an 02 YZ426F. I'm currently running a 13/50 setup for trails. I'm happy with it but next time around I'll go 13/51. For the dessert you would need to switch the front to a 14 or 15. Running a 52 rear kills to much of the top end. I would not recommend running a 12 front because it will really accelerate the chain slider wear. As far as flywheel weights go I'm currently not running one, but looking into getting a 10 or 12oz. Steahly Offroad has a good flywheel weight recommendation chart. Here's the link.
http://www.steahlyof...tion_charts.htm

• srhines67

Posted June 11, 2006 - 11:27 PM

Why would the 12 up front accelerate the chain slider wear? With the 13/51 don't you find yourself slipping the clutch too much on very long steep tight trails. It seems that 13/51 works for most trail riding but not enduro style stuff unless you like to replace clutches.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marcmo0

Posted June 12, 2006 - 08:21 AM

In going to a 13/51, did you need to change the chain length? I just bought a new chain, but it is for a 14/49 stock gearing. I am hoping to be able to use it.

• tammie

Posted June 12, 2006 - 11:59 AM

i have a 99 yz 400 i have 13/52 gearing a stock WR flywheel with electrex lighting coil i only ride woods, technical tight single track and double track, hills etc and it performs great..........i can run tight trails with no problems or stalling....

• flintlock28

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:58 PM

I'd be leery of running a 12 tooth front. Remember, when you go to a smaller tooth sprocket in the front, you are making the chain make a tighter smaller circumference turn, which will possibly accelerate wear. If you have the money, I'd keep the 13 or 14 front, and just go bigger in the rear.

• srhines67

Posted June 14, 2006 - 09:10 PM

I will have to check with one of the local big Yama shops on the wear issues using a 12 tooth. I like the front option because you can swap them out quickly for different types of riding. If the a 12 on the front does cause a problem I will bump up the rear.

• byw

Posted June 15, 2006 - 05:52 AM

I'm running a 13/49 combo and ride tight single track stuff and it seems pretty good to me.Just low enough but you still have some top end if you want it or need it.

• srhines67

Posted June 15, 2006 - 04:05 PM

I talked to the lead service tech at my local Yama shop and he agreed that a 12 in the front would wipe out the chain. I'm going to a 13/52 for the tight stuff. I'm just going to buy a JT steel until I figure out what I like.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.