going into neutral

7 replies to this topic
  • theclone

Posted June 11, 2006 - 06:45 PM

does anyone else with a 99 YZ400 think it's difficult to find neutral? Also it seems the bike likes to go in to neutral at the worst possible moment unless you give it a good kick between first and second. I was reading the KTM forums and people were saying their KTM's are like this, but it's just the way they are. So I started to wonder if the YZFs like this too, or is it just me? :applause:

• stock510

Posted June 11, 2006 - 07:41 PM

Yeah my mates 99 yz400f is the same, unless you give it a good solid shift between first and second you always find nuetral. You always hearing him missing second. Other than that the bike is bulletproof.

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 12, 2006 - 01:00 AM

I used to have trouble hitting neutral by mistake too on my '04 but after I adjusted the shift lever down a few teeth I haven't had that trouble once.

I have big feet and the lever was so high I had trouble getting all the way into gear.

I don't know if that's your problem, but it warrants paying attention to.

• SureBlue

Posted June 12, 2006 - 04:40 PM

I see many riders coming from the track and stopping into pits, the starting desperately to find neutral when the engine is running. I never understood this. I just come in, shut off right away and then put into neutral - no problems. My bike finds neutral easy, but why should I let it idle and tease the clutch?
If finding neutral is hard, it usually helps to keep fresh oil in the engine. If you hit neutral when riding, it is a shifting error or a KTM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:21 PM

I see many riders coming from the track and stopping into pits, the starting desperately to find neutral when the engine is running. I never understood this.

The main reason to do it while the engine is running, is because it takes less effort to see if it's in neutral, you just have to operate the clutch rather than pushing the bike back and forth. I keep the engine running.

• barch88

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:38 PM

I usually just get tired of finding netural on my 06 and just hold the clutch in 1st gear, shut the bike, then go into netural.

I got a quick question here...

Why is it harder to start the bike in gear (holding cluth in) then in netural? Does the TPS switch/wire have anything to do with this?

• ben_suhard

Posted June 12, 2006 - 06:05 PM

I got a quick question here...

Why is it harder to start the bike in gear (holding cluth in) then in netural? Does the TPS switch/wire have anything to do with this?

I thought it was just because the clutch still grabs a bit.

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 12, 2006 - 06:47 PM

I thought it was just because the clutch still grabs a bit.

I think it's both, but it's not the TPS it's the light blue wire...

I dunno if that still applies to the '06's though...

And I never fooled with mine either. My bike starts too easy as it stands to bother with it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.