Newbie Gathering Info

29 replies to this topic
  • ghoti

Posted June 15, 2006 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. Lots of great suggestions, and interesting discussion ref tire size. I will be going for the Spitfire windshield, but still not 100% on tires. The Kenda 761s also seem like pretty good tires but their largest rear tire size (120/80) is a little smaller than the stock one (I was hoping to go bigger...) :bonk: The other problem is that they say it is meant for a 3 inch wide rim. With the rear rim size of the XR650L only 2.15 inches, I wasn't sure if that tire was also too wide. Is anyone riding Kenda 761s on their XR650L? If so, please jump in on the discussion...I'd like to see some pics of the 761s on a bike to see if it looks like a good fit.

Long and short of it...still struggling with trying to find a reasonably priced set of rubber for my bike... :excuseme:

Any good online stores in Canada for tires? All the places in the US seem to charge a fortune for shipping to Canada...

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance. :busted:

Rotorwash

I ahve a 140/80-18 on my L, no rubbing but I do have to remove the disc guard to get the tire off.
Try www.americanmototire.com. The best prices I've found, don't know about shipping to Canada.

• Rotorwash

Posted June 15, 2006 - 10:01 AM

140? Their site doesn't even list that size...sure it isn't a 120/18?

Thanks.

• Ferdinand

Posted June 16, 2006 - 09:56 PM

I don't think they come in 130, but avon distanzias and gripsters are great for mostly street riding and last for many miles got close to 6000 on a rear distanzia before, and are great in the rain.

• Rotorwash

Posted June 17, 2006 - 07:30 AM

Ferdinand,

Thanks for the input. How are the avons on gravel roads? I'm not planning on doing really serious off-road riding but I do like hitting fire roads and trails from time to time, and my wife is usually hanging on behind me. I guess you could say I want a good street tire that doesn't have problems blasting down gravel roads either. The Kenda 761 seems like it might be a good compromise but I haven't had much input from actual riders.

My other option is to buy a Dunlop Trailmax (from ebay) and simply replace the stock rear tire with that. But, I can get a set of Kenda 761s for the same price...

Any Kenda 761 riders? Please fill me!!!

Thanks.

• Ferdinand

Posted June 17, 2006 - 12:46 PM

They aren't that bad to me on gravel roads, I've even had them off road, not too bad as long as you stay out of the mud, packed dry trails are okay, not bad, as long as you are sensible and remember they aren't knobbies, and know their limitations. I don't mind the trade off, for longer wearing tires, especially if I'm using them for mostly street riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exaresix

Posted June 17, 2006 - 07:09 PM

I have a Clarke tank and it was a breeze to install. If you can take off the stocker, you can put on any of the aftermarket tanks.

Did he ask about a tank?

• ghoti

Posted June 19, 2006 - 04:42 AM

140? Their site doesn't even list that size...sure it isn't a 120/18?

Thanks.

It's a Metzler MCE Karoo 140/80-18. 3500 miles on the rear and it's ready for a change, front is still good to go.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 26, 2006 - 04:56 AM

Did he ask about a tank?

Yes, try re-reading the whole topic. The tank question was asked.

• Rotorwash

Posted June 26, 2006 - 05:51 AM

Yes, I did ask about the tank.

Thanks for all the input HappyCurmudgeon! Much appreciated. I'm actually going to see a guy in town about rebuilding my seat to add a few inches more to it. He does awesome custom seat work and has offered to do it for a very reasonable price. I'll let you know how it goes.

I picked up a Spitfire 06 windshield for my bike. I went with the tinted one and it looks awesome.

I've also decided to go with the Kenda 761s. Those are backorder right now.

Does SRC racing make a rack for the 650L? Their site has been down for a few days.

Rotorwash

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted June 26, 2006 - 07:09 AM

Yes, I did ask about the tank.

Thanks for all the input HappyCurmudgeon! Much appreciated. I'm actually going to see a guy in town about rebuilding my seat to add a few inches more to it. He does awesome custom seat work and has offered to do it for a very reasonable price. I'll let you know how it goes.

I picked up a Spitfire 06 windshield for my bike. I went with the tinted one and it looks awesome.

I've also decided to go with the Kenda 761s. Those are backorder right now.

Does SRC racing make a rack for the 650L? Their site has been down for a few days.

Rotorwash

You are welcome for the input. I had alot of questions too when i first started here. (Now i have even more!) Several people really helped me alot, i just wanted to pass on the good Karma. :excuseme:

I would like to see a pic of the results when you get that seat finished!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.