Q: Can an '03 yz450f cylinder be overbored?

5 replies to this topic
  • yamasaki

Posted June 11, 2006 - 04:08 PM

can the sleeve inside a '2003 yz450f cylinder be bored out to accept larger diameter pistons? or do these cylinders have the nikasil stuff on them?

the new top-end i put in on friday failed on me todya. the circlip failed on one side and the wrist pin slid over and dug a nice groove into the cylinder sleeve.

just wondering if i can take it to a local engine shop and have them bore it out and hone it for me so i can just drop a new piston in there.. :applause:

• FFRacing79

Posted June 11, 2006 - 04:11 PM

It is nicosil. Send it to one of the plating companies and they can repair the damage and replate to original size, or go oversize and replate. Tdub

• yamasaki

Posted June 12, 2006 - 03:29 AM

cool, thanks.

i've used a company called Millenium Technologies in the past, they do cylinder repairs/exchange and offer a lifetime warranty on their nikasil plating.

guess i'll just call them up today.. :D

mo money! :applause:

thanks for the reply..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fowler175

Posted June 12, 2006 - 04:50 AM

It was cheaper to buy a new cylinder last time I did it, $285ca for a new one, $325-350ca for a replate. Worth checking, a four stroke jug isn't nearly as expensive as a two stroke.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 12, 2006 - 05:16 AM

I bought a new cylinder and sent it to Langcourt in Alabama - now I have a 472....great work and nice folks to deal with - turn around time is 2-3 weeks

• yamasaki

Posted June 13, 2006 - 06:48 AM

did some research... you guys were right.. i cant believe how cheap 4stroke cylinders are!

i just bought a brand new Yamaha cylinder for $200 from Yamaha of Troy. nice.

i'm still sour that i screwed up my own motor after doing a top-end rebuild, but i guess in retrospect, things couldve been worse.. now lets see if i can put this topend together the right way. :bonk:

and this time, i'm using the OEM yamaha circlips on the piston, NOT those cheap, paper-clip looking junk ones.

:excuseme: <= OEM circlips

:bonk: <= junky paperclip ones

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.