Where can I find a 2004 WR450 street legal kit?????

14 replies to this topic
  • fastwr450f

Posted June 11, 2006 - 09:05 AM

I live in Las Vegas , Nevada , I want to street legal my 2004 wr450f, Does some one sell a good kit??? I have a carbon pro white bros. exhaust on it now, will I have to change that to get it licensed? Has anyone else in Nevada went through the process of getting one street legal? Is it a pain in rear or what? Please help!!

• RichBaker

Posted June 11, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Trick Dual Sport...but all I did to my 03 was add a brake switch and wired it in, a license plate light, left mirror for AZ. We don't need turn sigs, and I haven't put a horn on yet...check the NV laws and see what you need. Saves money and less weight...

• B-Rock

Posted June 11, 2006 - 12:12 PM

Check out http://www.bajadesigns.com/

I would suggest a kit with LED signal lights if you do any trail riding. I have to replace signal light bulbs at least once a month.

I got my kit through my dealer, so you can always go through a local guy if you want.

Good luck

• gdm

Posted June 12, 2006 - 06:10 PM

http://www.trickdualsport.com You don't need to modify your stator with this kit and can use your stock headlight and taillight.

• MountainMax

Posted June 12, 2006 - 06:13 PM

You can use your stock headlight and tailight with Baja-Designs one but you do have to do the stator mod, no problem though for most. It's a bit pricy but its a nice complete kit (less mirrors) and I love it, no problems with my lights blowing yet..YET....lol

• johnnyjeep

Posted June 12, 2006 - 07:27 PM

this is the link that nevada dmv sent me when I asked them
http://www.dmvnv.com.../equipreqmc.pdf
I used the Baja Designs. I am still having some issues with them, but the install including the stator mod were pretty easy. Somebody here in TT somewhere had a link to make your own, I kind of wish I saw it before i Purchased a kit.

Jon in Vegas

• BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted June 12, 2006 - 08:11 PM

I am currently looking for info as well. I am confused is the stock headlamp and taillamp legal? From what i understand all I have to add is some blinkers and license bracket and a reflector and two mirrors and I am set? The bike I bought is already registered, but the state it was regersterd in did not require blinkers or mirrors. So I am hoping to just add those and be all good I am hoping for an easy process

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted June 13, 2006 - 07:04 AM

you can use the stock headlight and tailight, however you have to wire up a brake light to work and a high/low beam with indicator, signal lights, mirrors, and liscence plate bracket and a horn should get you legal. (oh yeah the brakelight and headlight suppose to work with the engine stalled out also)

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 13, 2006 - 07:35 AM

IMO - avoid the BD kit at all costs. Either make your own or buy a Trick DS. Rewiring the stator is a big mistake. The problem with the BD setup is that running the headlight on DC puts a pretty big load on the rect/regulator and the reliability of the BD regulator is questionable at best. If the regulator fails the bike will not run as the WR450 requires DC for the CDI to function. I believe Trick uses the stock rect/regulator and runs the headlight off the AC output. Dale's setup has lot's of protection (circuit breakers) as well so the chances of damaging the stock regulator are greatly reduced. :excuseme: My setup is home built but wired in a similar fashion and it has proven to be very reliable. PM me with an email address and I'll send a schematic.

• MountainMax

Posted June 13, 2006 - 12:34 PM

Well i have not heard of any BD voltage regulators failing... And most laws state your headlight and tailight must run for up to 5 minutes withe the engine off and that's why they rewire it to run off DC current. The BD wiring harness is very well made and I am happy with my kit (i did have a bad flasher though, they had a bad batch and warrantied it) But laws vary, and most people can't make themselves a complete kit, alot of wiring.

• BIGchiefKODIAK

Posted June 13, 2006 - 08:01 PM

2004 Yamaha WR450 Titled Excellent condition! Low miles!! Has Texas Title, Texas State Inspection sticker. Street legal, Brake light operates inside stock taillight. HI/LO/Off- light switch, Brand new tires (2 miles) New TAG bars with Endurotrail timer- Speedo, Grey wire Mod, DC coil mod (Floating ground) with new DC Rectifier/Relay, Boyesen quick shot accelerator pump. Accer Hand guards, adjustable fuel screw!! Brand new Battery,Has a discreet license plate mount for a perfect Motard conversion!!
This is what I got, I am not really sure what a rectifier is. Is all that stock any comments would help fastwr450f and I since it is the same year bike. thanks.

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 14, 2006 - 05:45 AM

Well i have not heard of any BD voltage regulators failing... And most laws state your headlight and tailight must run for up to 5 minutes withe the engine off and that's why they rewire it to run off DC current. The BD wiring harness is very well made and I am happy with my kit (i did have a bad flasher though, they had a bad batch and warrantied it) But laws vary, and most people can't make themselves a complete kit, alot of wiring.

Actually it does happen. Unfortunately when it does the bike is dead. The WR450 is unique in that it is one of the few bikes that requires 12 volts DC for the CDI and will not run if the DC system is out. Don't know about other states but CA only requires that the taillight stay on for 15 minutes without the engine running. BD makes good kits in general but have really struggled with the WR450. I believe the current kit is the 2nd or 3rd attempt. IMO Trick Dualsport makes a much better product for about the same money.

• MountainMax

Posted June 14, 2006 - 12:51 PM

That's cool, has anyone here had their voltage regulator fail? if so it may be a good idea for me to buy one and keep it in my backpack. I think the CDI needs 12volts cause it's a Digital Mapped One, (correct me if im wrong) and BD is making attempt number 4 for the WR kit as their liscence plate bracket, which is aluminum, breaks off after bouncy dirt road driving..... they are going to require a YZ fender and use the plastic bracket and led tailight instead which holds up longer....

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 14, 2006 - 01:06 PM

If you're looking for a good license plate bracket Scotts makes one that uses the stock WR fender. I've had mine on for literally thousands of miles without a problem. Highly recommended :excuseme:

• creeky

Posted June 14, 2006 - 01:12 PM

This place www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm has conversion parts at reasonable prices. Excellent nimh batteries can be bought from www.batteryspace.com look under 12V robot batteries. Inexpensive regulator/rectifiers can be found on E-Bay.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.