3 replies to this topic
  • sthedreem

Posted June 11, 2006 - 06:22 AM

I just bought an 03 YZ450F from a member on the board. I am trying to locate the VIN. Where is the VIN located on the bike? Also any trick to starting? the gas knob is on and the choke is pulled.

• Climber

Posted June 11, 2006 - 07:02 AM

VIN is on the steering neck, under the number plate, front right side.

Give it a couple turns on the throttle before kicking it. You might want to set the idle up a bit too. Then kick it. Don't kick it with the throttle open...unless you like pain.

If it stll does not start, push in the choke and pull on the hotstart lever. these are usually easy to start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirty_Sanchez

Posted June 11, 2006 - 07:11 AM

The VIN is stamped into the head tube on the kick starter side of the bike.

You'll have to figure out how your bike wants to be started and this will happen with time, but here's how I bring my iron horse to life:

Starting for the first time for the day, or after sitting for a week:
Turn fuel petcock on
Pull out the choke
Snap the throttle three times (twist throttle all the way quickly and release three times)
Mount your steed find a firm place in the compression stroke with the kicker.
If it dosen't light up, don't keep twisting the throttle for those three times, just continue kicking and she'll light up.

I've got my starting drill down to the point she fires on the first kick just about every time when cold.

Starting a hot engine:

Mount your steed
Find a firm spot with the kicker
Pull in your hot start lever
Kick her over
But remember, she still dosen't want any throttle.

Resist the old smoker habit of applying a little juice during startup. It won't work with these 4-bangers.

You'll figure it out in due time. But I remember when I first got my bike, I kicked and kicked until I had sweat in my eyes and almost called the dealer to let them know I couldn't get her to light up. But then I read the starting instructions and she lit right up.

• sthedreem

Posted June 11, 2006 - 08:27 AM

For now, I got it push started so at least it is running. I can't seem locate the VIN on the steering head. Does anyone have a pic of where it should be. Any other location on the bike?

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.