XRR 200w stator question

7 replies to this topic
  • HawkGT

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:50 PM

If I get a 200w stator to run higher wattage lights, will I need to do anything else other than replace the stator? What about a voltage regulator? I don't run a battery.

Which is better, RickyStator or Electrex? They are both similarly priced. The Electrex has coated windings, the RickyStator appears not to be coated.

thanks

• Mudshark

Posted June 10, 2006 - 08:04 PM

I got mine from Ricky, I use the one output (it comes with 2 X 100watt)
through the stock XRR AC regulator and run the lights off that. The other output
runs my DS kit and stuff like GPS...
I only run a 55 / 65 Watt headlight and find it good enought for now.
But, yes, get the stator and run it using the stock regulator, it'll be fine.

• HawkGT

Posted June 10, 2006 - 08:24 PM

I'm thinkin' of running Trailtechs 8" light with a 100w halogen bulb. Or, I'll use that light with a 55w bulb and keeping the stator stock (for now).

Just trying to figure out which way I'm going with this...

thanks

• Mudshark

Posted June 11, 2006 - 01:15 PM

the up side is that you'll have two lots of 100+ watts
the way I have mine now, I have 100 for DC and 100 for AC. I'm not using
half of it yet... but come winter a heated thingy or two might be nice :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted June 12, 2006 - 08:38 AM

But, yes, get the stator and run it using the stock regulator, it'll be fine
unless you want to run 100+ watt lights.... could need a stronger regulator
i think the stock one is only good up to 85 watts.

Actually the exact opposite is true. An AC regulator works by shorting out the wires from the stator. When the voltage gets too high, the regulator adsorbs it so the bulb doesn't blow. With a high wattage bulb, the regulator doesn't need to adsorb very much. So with a 100 watt bulb the stocker would be OK. Wit a 55 watt bulb it might work, but get hot. The problem happens when the bulb burns out. Now all the juice is going to the regulator. A stock unit can't handle the 100 watts and will burn out. That's why you need a new one, so it can handle the stator output with no bulb.

• XR4DEZ

Posted June 12, 2006 - 09:18 PM

Actually the exact opposite is true. An AC regulator works by shorting out the wires from the stator. When the voltage gets too high, the regulator adsorbs it so the bulb doesn't blow. With a high wattage bulb, the regulator doesn't need to adsorb very much. So with a 100 watt bulb the stocker would be OK. Wit a 55 watt bulb it might work, but get hot. The problem happens when the bulb burns out. Now all the juice is going to the regulator. A stock unit can't handle the 100 watts and will burn out. That's why you need a new one, so it can handle the stator output with no bulb.

Thanx for the explanation, much appreciated. :excuseme:

• Naru

Posted June 12, 2006 - 10:11 PM

I own both an Electrex and a Ricky Stator, and am waiting on recieving Electrex's "new" style stator for the XRR.

Between Electrex's old (200 watt) stator and the Ricky Stator 200 watt stator, I'd go with the Ricky Stator only because it comes plug-n-play with all connections crimped on and the factory grommet installed (the electrex comes with unstripped and uncrimped wire and no grommet; I will attest to the fact that installing the grommet yourself is an absolute b*tch and chewed up well over an hour to get the wires to route cleanly. If it isn't perfect the grommet develops bulges and water can leak in). On the other hand, I have heard from a few people now that the coating that Ricky Stator applies to the windings on his stator melts at higher temps when it shouldn't, while the Electrex unit doesn't suffer this.

As I mentioned, I also have the 'new style' Electrex stator on order. Electrex claims that while the older unit put out a hair over 2x100 watts (as most do), their new stator is a 3-phase unit putting out 3x100 watts. I have no idea how true this is, and I have no idea if it comes plug and play or not as I don't have it in my hands yet. However, if it does produce that extra 100 watts it's more than worth it to me for the upgrade. If you are interested in it, give Rob Barnum of Barnums Pro a call as he has been running it in his bike with great success.

Or if you have time, wrap it yourself. I would have done that, but time was in short supply. But it's a great learning experience. I don't have any of the URLs available that break down how to do it on the R, but I'm sure others do. Good luck. :excuseme:

• SMOKE

Posted June 13, 2006 - 09:07 AM

i just got a ricky stator. i could of had baja designs rewind my stock one but like the thought of having a "spare" so i opted for the $50 more. i am just going to be running a 8" Baja Designs HID :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.