Rear brake fade on the 650R??

6 replies to this topic
  • Thunderbug

Posted June 10, 2006 - 05:38 PM

Was doing a really ratty jungle downhill where I was riding the rear brake pretty hard and the pedal went down to the footpeg.
A complete fade. I was expecting to see brake fluid all over the rear disc, but it was dry. Everything looked just fine.
We stopped for a bit of a break and when we took off again, no problems whatsoever. Whatever had caused it had stopped when the unit had time to cool off.
Anybody ever had this happen to them? Is there a cure?

• 849racing

Posted June 10, 2006 - 05:57 PM

have you changed your brake fliuid lately? brake fluid absorbs water and that lowers the boiling point. under extreme use fluid basically boils causing the brakes to become soft or go away all together. I've exprienced this when when i ride supermoto and I"m hard on the brakes. As far as a cure you can try a steel braided line they don't expand as much as rubber so you get better braking power. but the best thing to do is change the brake fluid at regular intervals.

• Thunderbug

Posted June 10, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Thanks 849, I was kinda suspecting something like this. I'll pump in some fresh juice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted June 10, 2006 - 08:45 PM

motul rbf600 dot 4 is what i use in my baja race bikes and you really have to abuse the rear brake to boil this stuff it works great

• Thunderbug

Posted June 10, 2006 - 11:47 PM

Thank you Rusty, I'll see what they've got here.

Posted June 11, 2006 - 09:24 AM

it would really be worth your while to find that motul,honestly works great

• Mudshark

Posted June 11, 2006 - 01:19 PM

Another thing is that the fluid gets very hot and the plastic brake lines get
soft and expand under pressure. Run some stainless steel braided lines for
zero expansion, that helps a lot also. I use Galfer brake lines, not too expensive
and they work great.... I did go back to the stock front break line though,
the steel one made the fron break too snatchy, I kinda like the "soft" feel
on the front.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.