My dream has come true!!!

16 replies to this topic
  • BLACK_BONES

Posted June 10, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hey everyone!

Im so pumped i could kiss my wife! hehe
After 19 years of dreaming. I have finally gotten my first dirt bike!
I grew up in a city where dirtbikers were far and few, so as A kid i used to dream about having a dirt bike, but my dreams were not answered untill this past week, were i took that step and bought a brand new Wr 450f! :applause:

I had about 2 hours of dirtbiking riding under my belt before this, but rode a 600 ninja street bike for 3 months last year. The street bike was fun, but this is the best thing that has happened to me in my life other than my family.

I dont wanna sound girly, but man it still brings a tear to my ol eye..hardy har har.

This is a great site that i feel blessed to find, and will be here for as long as it's around!

Sorry for this essay type post, but i do have some questions if I may....

I think it's powerfull as is, but can't stand that backfire sound coming from my exhaust. Can i just take out the baffler and put the cap back on and have no repecussions?

when you adjust the front fork rebound damping force should the front tire be off the ground?

Im such a newbe, but love my machine.

BLACK_BONES

• odonnks

Posted June 10, 2006 - 05:45 PM

Welcome and cograts !!
To eliminate the backfire you'll need to remove the AIS.
The store at this site has a AIS removal kit.

Are you aware of the 'free' mods ? The performance afterward will amaze you.

• BLACK_BONES

Posted June 10, 2006 - 06:33 PM

I wasnt aware untill i saw this site!

im not the most mechanically inclined, but i am trying.

what is the brand of choice for oiling this machine? grease wise, and engine oil?

thanks for any tips.

• kyleyz

Posted June 10, 2006 - 06:36 PM

The free mods are the gray wire, baffle romve, and snorkle removal...oh and by the way, i cried when i got my first bike too! congrats

• BLACK_BONES

Posted June 10, 2006 - 06:41 PM

if i clip in the wire, do i have to do anything else? like what is something i can do tonight to have a diff bike tomorrow? something easy ? lol

thanks

• odonnks

Posted June 10, 2006 - 06:56 PM

Don't clip the wire but just slide it out from the connector.

Also, replace or shorten the throttle stop. The factory stop is 3/4 throttle.
Here is a good resource for WR mods. The 250 and 450 have the same mods.
http://www.thumperfa...ree_mods.htm#YZ

Also, if you shorten the T- stop here you want the YZ length. Its not recommended you run without the stop. Some folks just remove it. It leads to problems like stuck throttles.

Here are the before and after measurements.'
http://www.pbase.com.../image/40834257

• WildRide

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:02 PM

If this is really your first dirtbike, you sure picked a pretty powerful bike to learn on. I would recommend you avoid the power enhancers for a bit, the stock HP will be more than enough to learn with. Maybe take a dozen rides on on the stock engine before you kill yourself.

• BLACK_BONES

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:47 PM

thanks for the tips!

I didnt want to get a bike and say, "man this is weak"
and the 450 just looked so sweeeet!
im 6'1 180 lbs, and have started to get alittle air of some construction sites foundations, that is local.
so awesome to scream into the site and *** around, feels like being in the game grand theft auto..haha

man i missed lots not havin a bike.

can i jut sshorten the screw and thats it? just take off 11 mil and im good to go? what will the difference be?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted June 10, 2006 - 10:00 PM

familiar with the term night and day?

ya...like that.

before you cut the screw, the bike has NO power. after you cut the screw, your bike grows balls...big hairy monkey balls.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted June 10, 2006 - 10:47 PM

congrats on the new ride! Yamaha's rule!!!!!!!!!1

• gregwr450f

Posted June 10, 2006 - 11:48 PM

If this is your first bike, dont touch anything until you have had a bit more experience on it.
I can't believe these blokes are telling you to mod it already.

• odonnks

Posted June 11, 2006 - 02:40 AM

Yes, you can just cut the screw.
Be sure to not go too short. if you have dial calipers use them to measure.
A Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel works best. Leave it just a shade long then use med - fine emery paper to smooth the face and round the edges.
Apply a light grease to the bare end before reinstall. Just a little. Too much and you'll give dust and dirt a place to stick to.
Don't do the baffel removal without some jetting you'll be way to lean if you do. With stock jetting your already very lean. (you should correct this anyhow)

• old man dan

Posted June 11, 2006 - 07:56 AM

Where in BC are you? If you're on the Island PM me and we'll get together and I can walk you through the mods and show you some riding spots. Leaving the bike stock for a few rides is probably pretty good advice if you don't have alot of riding experience. Order an AIS removal kit, a Promoto exhaust tip and a JD jet kit and put it all in at once and it'll feel like a completely new machine.

• RichBaker

Posted June 11, 2006 - 12:03 PM

familiar with the term night and day?

ya...like that.

before you cut the screw, the bike has NO power. after you cut the screw, your bike grows balls...big hairy monkey balls.

That should be GORILLA balls.... :applause:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 11, 2006 - 09:31 PM

I'd like to be the 3rd guy to tell you to slow down. Not a little, but slow down a lot!

I sounds like your real experience with bikes is 3 months on a ninja. That even isn't a lot of experience for the street.

Aside from learning about the bike, you also have to learn quite a bit about yourself, your riding style and preferences, strength and weaknesses, etc....

Just ride it for a while until you get the feeling that the bike is slow. Then consider opening it up. I wished I had taken things just a little slower when I was starting out.

• BLACK_BONES

Posted June 11, 2006 - 09:44 PM

After waiting soooooo long, it is hard to not explore the full nature of the beast. I think she has lots of power as is, but would like to see her other side hehe.

"A few scares dont hurt, it's the falls that do."

I live in hong kong richmond bc.

So can i just cut the screw? or do i have to adjust something for cutting it?

Thanks guys, you guys ROCK!!

• minion

Posted June 11, 2006 - 10:15 PM

After waiting soooooo long, it is hard to not explore the full nature of the beast. I think she has lots of power as is, but would like to see her other side hehe.

"A few scares dont hurt, it's the falls that do."

I live in hong kong richmond bc.

So can i just cut the screw? or do i have to adjust something for cutting it?

Thanks guys, you guys ROCK!!

I simply ordered the YZ screw, rather than cutting it. It is a real problem if you go too short, as you can get a stuck open throttle, and that's bad news.

The main reason I'd tell you to do the mods to the bike is to make it run correctly, not to increase its power. You've only been riding for essentially 3 months, and you bought a competition machine as your first dirt bike; its not really a trail bike.

The bike comes from the factory VERY lean, because Yamaha's largest market is California, which is a communist portion of the United States, and somehow still maintains statehood regardless of its ideology.

The backfire, the off-idle bog, the leanness -those are the reasons to modify the bike for someone starting out. The off-idle bog can be dangerous, when you gas it to clear something, and instead the engine cuts out. Being so lean can be damaging to the motor as well, as it runs alot hotter than it should.

I've been trail riding for 17 years before I bought my WR450, and it took me a while to get comfortable on the bike, especially since I did the mods right off the bat. It had a lot of power to learn to control, but now that I've been on the bike for a while, I feel quite comfortable on it, and I'm comfortable with the way it responds. But that's 17 years of prior riding experience. I still get the ear-to-ear grin when I ride, so I know the feeling. Just take it easy until you can predict what'll happen when you snap the trottle, if you can clear that log in the way, etc, etc. Your bones will thank you. :applause:

M.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.