Spark Plug removal question

11 replies to this topic
  • drtbk4ever

Posted June 10, 2006 - 03:11 PM

OK, I was trying to remove the spark plug today and I can't get at it with my spark plug socket and long extension. So I did a search and here is what I found

[COLOR=Navy]Special wrench? How about a spark plug socket and a wobbly extension?[/COLOR]

What is a "wobbly extension"?

Thanks,

• Matty05

Posted June 10, 2006 - 03:17 PM

use the spark plug tool you got in the spares kit!

The spark plugs have a lot of thread, so maybe you didn't unscrew it all the way?

Unscrew it all the way and get it out with needle nose pliers!

Oh, also wobble extention is like a CV joint. allows you to get into tight places around corners with your sockets.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted June 10, 2006 - 03:20 PM

a universal-joint is what you refering to i think, it helps to get the socket in past the frame.
A spark-plug socket with a rubber insert will help taking it out.
:applause:

• Matty05

Posted June 10, 2006 - 03:21 PM

A spark-plug socket with a rubber insert will help taking it out.

:applause: :D :prof:

• drtbk4ever

Posted June 10, 2006 - 03:22 PM

OKay....

I bought my bike used and didn't get "a spark plug tool".

So I'll go look for the "universal" extension.

I think I got it now.

Thanks guys.

• farkawi

Posted June 10, 2006 - 04:49 PM

Motion Pro makes the socket/wobble extension setup for our bikes. See it here:
http://www.motionpro...park_plug_tool/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted June 10, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Just about any auto parts store can supply you with a "wobble" socket extension.

• RichBaker

Posted June 11, 2006 - 12:16 PM

These are "wobble extensions".....not a universal joint!
http://buy1.snapon.c...re=snapon-store
I have a set and they work great!

• spyder8850

Posted June 11, 2006 - 08:26 PM

I think it would much easier to obtain the right tool for the spark plug removal for the bike than in where I come. I used a CBR400 (super4) spark plug remover. There share the same spark plug size and its shorter than the conventional long spark plug removal tool.

• GCannon

Posted June 12, 2006 - 08:43 AM

A deep socket a universal joint and an extension is all you need.
The Trick is to drop the socket over the spark plug first then push the extension with the universal into the socket. by doing it this way you will avoid breaking the spark plug. To install put the new spark plug in the socket drop the plug and socket into the plug well and start the plug threads by hand then push the extension in for tightening.

• drtbk4ever

Posted June 12, 2006 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

• byggd

Posted June 12, 2006 - 12:46 PM

3/8 drive 5/8 plug socket with a wobbly universal built on, 8 or 10 inch extension and a 3/8 ratchet :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.