o6 yfz spitz, sputters,pops help

6 replies to this topic
  • 06-ballance-yfz

Posted June 10, 2006 - 11:55 AM

I recently bought an 450 yfz It ran good for about 10 to 13 hours. Then all the sudden it spits, sputters,and pops through the carb. Took to the dealer they supposedly went through the carb,checked cam timing, crankshaft timing,and valve clearance's. Everything checked out fine they even called YAMAHA and they said to put a stage1 jet kit in so they tried that with with no luck. I don't know too much about carbs but why would it run fine for 10 hours or so and then need jets all the sudden? If anyone could give me a possible diagnosis or explanation I would really appreciate it.

• SureBlue

Posted June 10, 2006 - 06:17 PM

...it will spit ,sputter and ultimatley kill the dealer...

First, any dealer who keeps your ride for 3 weeks because of simple jetting issues, deserves to get killed, lol.
Second, this is the bike forum, not the quad one.
Third, if you expect any decent answers, please learn to write properly. Did you even notice how long the one and only sentence of your's was? Do you find it readable yourself?
Fourth, in case you really mean the '06 450f, a search will find you all the answers you need for proper jetting.

• barch88

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:06 PM

This has been said time and time before about how off the '06 Jetting is for people. Plain and simple, it's too lean. The fix? A larger pilot jet should do the trick, try changing yours out to a 48, work from there.

By the way, your dealer is a complete idiot if he cannot jet a bike correctly in 3 weeks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FFRacing79

Posted June 11, 2006 - 05:57 AM

By the way, your dealer is a complete idiot if he cannot jet a bike correctly in 3 weeks.

Ever think the dealer may have had a 3 week backlog and it took that long for this customers turn to come around?

• odonnks

Posted June 11, 2006 - 10:09 AM

I'd look for crap plugging the jets. There are no fuel filters on them and any dirt in the fuel must eventually flow thru the jets.

• FFRacing79

Posted June 11, 2006 - 10:18 AM

There are no fuel filters on them and any dirt in the fuel must eventually flow thru the jets.

:applause: Ever pull the petcock out of the tank? Tdub

• SureBlue

Posted June 11, 2006 - 05:42 PM

I knew it was a quad after all, but I'm not negative about that, we have several quads too in our racing team.
The jetting specs for the '06 bike just don't apply, that's all.

I recently bought an 450 yfz It ran good for about 10 to 13 hours. Then all the sudden it spits, sputters,and pops through the carb.

This sudden spitting may be a result of:
- intake or exhaust leak
- clogged jets
- water in carb
- dropped fuel screw
- damaged CDI-box
- damaged stator
Did your quad get wet? How is the spark plug and -cable? You could have a broken electrical cable somewhere too.
I cannot think of other sudden causes, unless if you had the carb apart and put the slider in wrong. But that is not "sudden".

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.