06 WR450F gets hot

6 replies to this topic
  • JWM61

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:29 AM

06 WR450F gets smoken hot doing slow 1st gear technical trails, sounds like a little tee pot. Had to stop to cool down 3 times on a 4.4 mile section. Any one else have the same problem? Any ideas that might help?

Mods: Throttle Pin for YZ and exhaust

• simon@vic

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:37 AM

do all the free mods and jet it.

then lower the gearing if your slipping the clutch too much. i think most of the heat is coming from slipping the cluth!! the same low speed section should be fine if you can ride it with out using the clutch so much. i don't over heat mine any more at all!!! and i used to!!

• Chas_M

Posted June 10, 2006 - 08:10 AM

Is your 'coolant recovery system' hooked up and working properly??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JWM61

Posted June 10, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Got the bike home flushed the coolant and refilled then drained the oil and replaced. Coolant overflow does transfer back and forth.

First post about the clutch may be dead on. This trail was a bitch.

• MountainMax

Posted June 10, 2006 - 09:54 AM

I too noticed mine doing the same thing.....I wish i had a temp sensor or light even, maybe an electric overheat fan?

• gregwr450f

Posted June 10, 2006 - 11:55 PM

Cover the bottom of you rad with heat reflective tape (2 layers) as it helps protect the rad from the heat coming of the header, go have a look how close the header is to the rad.

• MountainMax

Posted June 11, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Good Idea..........

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.