Frame Rust-Skidplate bolt holes

5 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted June 10, 2006 - 04:07 AM

I have an 06' WR450. Put an aftermarket skidplate on the bike. The original bolt holes on the frame are not plugged presently. I consistently get rust water coming out of the frame after the bike sits(post washing/ride). Stuff stains the bed of my truck(rhino liner) and freaks me out that my frame could be rotting from the inside. My approach was to plug the holes with metric bolts but I'd hate to have water trapped in there and rust things up further. Has anyone else had this problem?? Bike only has 200 miles on it... :applause:

• simon@vic

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:43 AM

there are drain holes for the tubes on the bottom near where the foot pegs mount. so no matter what you do there will be water getting in when you cross a river. and then draining out. basically your SOL for interior frame rust unless you pressurize it with pain on day one.

best thing to do is to fill the old skid plate holes with silicon and just deal with the little hones on the bottom. DON'T plug them!!!

• RichBaker

Posted June 11, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Plug 'em....the holes are there so the welds don't blow out from the heat /pressure created during the welding process. Just make sure it's had plenty of time to dry out and the humidity is real low when you do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted June 11, 2006 - 02:02 PM

You can blow out the holes with compressed air and then squirt some WD40 in there to displace the remaining water. Let it sit, blow it out again, then reapply the WD40...SC

• Dodjy

Posted June 11, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Squirt fishoil into the frame. I had an XR which rusted through and cracked the frame so I did this on my new WR. If you don't it will weaken the frame eventually.

• TimBrp

Posted June 12, 2006 - 03:03 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll go the fishoil/WD-40 route and just plug the OEM plate holes.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.