Questions about 4.7 clarke

4 replies to this topic
  • HondaXR650L

Posted June 09, 2006 - 11:30 PM

Is there a place that sells a locking gas cap of the Clarke 4.7? Also to the other "L" riders that have the Edelbrock, do you guys have fuel problems when the tank gets low like the 5.0? That's why I'm planning on getting the 4.7 (and it comes in red) or will I need a fuel pump? :applause:

• Dual_Dog

Posted June 10, 2006 - 10:10 AM

I've got the Clarke 4.0 & to my knowledge they (Clarke) do not make a locking cap. I could be wrong but I believe both the 4.0 & 4.7 share the same cap.

The fuel delivery should be the same for a stock carb vs. an aftermarket one since they're all gravity fed, but mine has the stock carb & runs fine so I couldn't tell you for certain about an Edelbrock. I believe the largest Acerbis (6.0?) might have dual petcocks but I'm not certain about that either. :applause:

The tank lobes on most all of the aftermarket tanks are deeper & hang lower than the single petcock on the left side which creates an artificially low fuel condition, hence the tipping of the bike to get the fuel to transfer over to the petcock side. This is about the only drawback of these larger tanks. I'll take that any day over the stock thimble of a tank that comes standard on these big singles.

The only thing that I would recommend when swapping tanks is staying with the stock 5/16" I.D. diameter fuel hose, if the Edelbrock has the same O.D. inlet. Probably doesn't matter too much but you never know... :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 10, 2006 - 11:52 AM

Just for grins, I added new pix in my garage of the Clarke 4.7 :applause:

• justicedone

Posted June 10, 2006 - 12:16 PM

The tanks threaded so I am pretty sure locking its a no-go.

But why worry???

gas thieves are looking for more than 3-4 gallons to get an ass beating, more like an SUV with 10-15 gallong, easy mark.

• HondaXR650L

Posted June 11, 2006 - 07:07 PM

[quote name='Dual_Dog']

The fuel delivery should be the same for a stock carb vs. an aftermarket one since they're all gravity fed, but mine has the stock carb & runs fine so I couldn't tell you for certain about an Edelbrock. I believe the largest Acerbis (6.0?) might have dual petcocks but I'm not certain about that either. :applause:

The flow of the 5.0 when it gets low, does not give enough gas to the pumper carb. I am wondering if I need to get a pump, I would hate to be on the freeway crack the throttle and have the bike start cutting out on me. Maybe I will go with the 6.0 but, I dont think it comes in red.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.