Feeler Gauge on valves????

10 replies to this topic
  • snow

Posted June 09, 2006 - 07:00 PM

For some reason I can't find a feeler gauge small enough for my valves on my 450. All my gauges are too big anyone else have this problem??? Will try Napa and see if they have the right gauge just thought I’d see if I was the only one that has run into this.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 09, 2006 - 07:25 PM

I couldn't find a set of slim feeler guages anywere else so I just got a set off the Snap On truck.. they are way slimmer than the normal sized ones, and they fit the valves perfect. Cost me $9

• snow

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Thanks I will be on the lookout for the truck if Napa does not have any.

• smcdonn

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:19 PM

You can just buy a standard set and cut them in half

• grayracer513

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:22 PM

I don't recall having any trouble fitting a standard gauge under any of the valves in the 450, although the 250F was another story. In that case, though, I simply took a pair of scissors to a standard gauge blade and trimmed it some 'til it fit. The trimmed edge is no problem, because that never goes between the parts anyway, if you use it right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:27 PM

I've never had a problem with the feeler guages I have... the set I have is ancient and you can barely read the thickness of the guages, but they work great! :applause:

• almostinvincible119

Posted June 09, 2006 - 09:46 PM

if you cut the feeler gauges in half, it will flaw the tolerances that they are at. i went to the yamaha dealer and got them to order me a set made by K&B tools(maybe thats their name) anyways, its the company of tools the dealership and yamaha uses. they were steep, (39 after tax) but i couldnt find any from the matco or snapon guy, they didnt even have them listed in their catalog. but ill pay the 39 instead of that god awful popcorn machine noise

• renthal1

Posted June 09, 2006 - 10:57 PM

cut them

• snow

Posted June 10, 2006 - 05:34 AM

So how is cutting them going to make the gauge slimmer I think the smallest I have is .24 MM and I need a .10-.15.

• almostinvincible119

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:12 AM

ohh, i thought you ment cutting them in half to make them narrower to be able to get them in between the cam lobes...keep lookin for the snap on guy

• snow

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Car Quest had them but the guy had to sell me his own set in his tool box since they did not carry any that small.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.