Front shock advice

15 replies to this topic
  • odonnks

Posted June 09, 2006 - 05:57 PM

When riding hard and taking jumps my 06 WR 450 will occasionally bottom out the front forks.
All hardware is stock. I have the compression dampening at the max setting.
The only time it happens is when jumping a roadway cut and landing up hill.
At 180 lbs I would not have thought I'd be able to bottom them out.

I've never resprung a pair of forks but I'd give it a try if needed. Is ther another alternative?
If not, Will YZ springs fit ?

Thanks

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 09, 2006 - 06:08 PM

Are you sure it isnt the rear tire landing first, and the front tire "smacking" down? I experienced alot of that on my first ride.

• odonnks

Posted June 09, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Good question ! Tomorrow I get a vid and check it out.
I really don't know. Getting as much 'air' as I get on that one is new to me and there is room for allot more so I'm trying to get it right.

Thanks, I'll know more from the vid..

• steve lemley

Posted June 09, 2006 - 07:27 PM

Im 200 and had to respring. My WR handles like a dream and doesent washout in burms or tight turns anymore either. I suggest respringing it but leaving the valves alone. The valves for your weight are very similar to the stock ones. Just respring and fluid!!! You wont regret it. Before, I would bottom out on 2nd to 3rd gear hits but look below, my first 4th gear pinned and the landing was smooth.

Posted Image

• MojaveThumper

Posted June 10, 2006 - 08:20 AM

Im 200 and had to respring. My WR handles like a dream and doesent washout in burms or tight turns anymore either. I suggest respringing it but leaving the valves alone. The valves for your weight are very similar to the stock ones. Just respring and fluid!!! You wont regret it. Before, I would bottom out on 2nd to 3rd gear hits but look below, my first 4th gear pinned and the landing was smooth.

Posted Image

:applause:

Where in Cali is this?

• MountainMax

Posted June 10, 2006 - 09:52 AM

I too noticed mine bottoms out too in the front when hitting a modest jump in third gear ( i stiffened my rear) and will definately buy new front springs and put them in over the winter....

• bg10459

Posted June 10, 2006 - 10:17 AM

If the forks perform well, but bottom occassionally, you can try adding about 10cc of oil to each tube.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted June 10, 2006 - 02:58 PM

:D

Where in Cali is this?

Looks like Gorman/Hungry Valley area to me :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted June 10, 2006 - 03:10 PM

When riding hard and taking jumps my 06 WR 450 will occasionally bottom out the front forks.
All hardware is stock. I have the compression dampening at the max setting.
The only time it happens is when jumping a roadway cut and landing up hill.
At 180 lbs I would not have thought I'd be able to bottom them out.

I've never resprung a pair of forks but I'd give it a try if needed. Is ther another alternative?
If not, Will YZ springs fit ?

Thanks

The stock springs are fine for you, but you are discovering that the stock valving is to soft! :applause:

Check out www.racetech.com for recomended spring rates, but the stockers are perfect for you (I already checked)!

Spend the money and get a revalve! It is the best money you could ever spend on your bike, even if it was bone stock.! :D

• steve lemley

Posted June 11, 2006 - 03:26 PM

Matty, usually I always agree with what you say but having this same problem and just being finished addressing it, I have to say that I think the revalve wont help as much as the springs. The stock WR spring is rated for a 160lb. rider from the factory. The spring for this rider should go up at least one size if not 2 if hes an agressive rider. One of the best suspension shops in California agrees becasue this is exactly what was wrong with mine and they said as for stock configurations, the valves are secondary to the spring change cause for that weight range, the stock valve is almost the same but would be
"aftermarket". I listened to the shop and spared the revalve and went with a rebuild, service and respring and its night and day differences. If I can hit 4 gear pinned jumps and not bottom out after a respring and adjust only, I cant see spending the money on the valves. My bike is completely different now and I am pushing my riding so much harder because my bike will take anything I can throw at it now!!!!!! Just my opinion :applause: :D

• Matty05

Posted June 11, 2006 - 09:51 PM

Here you go:

Fork:
http://www.racetech....SpringType=Fork

Shock:
http://www.racetech....pringType=Shock

• odonnks

Posted June 12, 2006 - 02:04 AM

Is respringing something I can do on my own? OR is a shop required ?

Thanks, Great info!

• MountainMax

Posted June 12, 2006 - 07:29 AM

Thanks but it don't work for me, i put in my weight at 245 pounds, and it says i need a 0.00 KG spring.

• Yamahondaha

Posted June 12, 2006 - 07:46 AM

If the forks perform well, but bottom occassionally, you can try adding about 10cc of oil to each tube.

I agree with you on this one. I added about 1 oz of fork oil and that did the trick. I did notice that the kick stand makes a metal to metal noise upon landing that might seem like the fork bottoming out. I would take off the kick stand when testing the fork travel. In my case I could see the fork tubes wiped clean all the way to the bottom then after filling the forks with oil the wipe line for the same jump was several inches higher... :applause:

I think the best thing to do is to check the fluid level just in case one leg has too little and the other too much oil.

• Matty05

Posted June 12, 2006 - 02:07 PM

Is respringing something I can do on my own? OR is a shop required ?

Thanks, Great info!

Very easy to do. Just undo the fork caps, slip in a 17mm spanner on the shaft under the cap and remove the cap. The springs come right out.

With the shock, it is easiest to remove it from the bike first.

• Matty05

Posted June 12, 2006 - 02:15 PM

Thanks but it don't work for me, i put in my weight at 245 pounds, and it says i need a 0.00 KG spring.

http://www.racetech....angname=english

5.88kg/mm spring and 0.497kg/mm fork springs. Just round up to the closest.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.