How much faster is a 525exc than a wr450?

21 replies to this topic
  • OlaGB

Posted June 09, 2006 - 07:06 AM

Any WR owners tried a 525 exc for comparison?

I`ve got my WR450 well tuned now, with hotcams and a ti powercore, but i want a little more.. Big bore is out of the Q.. Want something stock, that pulls a little stronger than this bike, if not i`ll stick to what i have..

How much faster does the 525 feel on the road/gravel? Is it remarkably stronger? Alot more grunt in low rpm`s? More pull on top rpms?

Why doesnt Yamaha make a WR550 or 650....

• GCannon

Posted June 09, 2006 - 07:36 AM

My buddy has a MXC 520 it has more top end 10 ro 15 mph from what I can tell since i am riding a 426 it does not feel that much faster accept on top end it does have more a little more low end but in the california desert I will not be trading in the WR any time soon. I don't know anything about Supermoto it may be just the right thing for that?

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:08 AM

Because most R-tards can't even handle the 450.

• OlaGB

Posted June 09, 2006 - 09:31 AM

Perhaps i`d stick to the 450 anyway then.. If the 525 doesnt give me an extra grin in the face when i twist the throttle, it wouldnt be worth the extra cash spent.. (thinking of buying a new one, not used this time)

I`m searching for another 5hp, over the entire rpm range.. But i dont want to pour even MORE money in the 450 than i already have done.. Especially if it makes the bike less reliable at the same time..

Husaberg would be a second alternative, with the extreme powerd 650, but 100hr crank overhaul makes me look the other way...

• jwriott

Posted June 09, 2006 - 09:44 AM

I think the KTM's feel a lot faster and less busy on the road because of the 6-speed. I think a YZ timed WR will hang right with the KTM until about 80 mph then it's good bye.

I just bought an XR650R in very good shape and put dual sport tires on it for now. I'm going to get SM wheels at some point and it is much faster on the street than the WR426 I had.

• dbailey223

Posted June 09, 2006 - 10:18 AM

In my experience, a stock big Husqvarna (I own an 01 TE 570 and a 95 WXE 610) pulls a lot harder throughout the range than my 03 WR 450. The difference is enough that I dount an after market pipe on the WR would make them even. I got my WR for electric start, parts availability, etc.

The new TE Husqvarnas have electric start and are 50 state plateable from the dealer. Parts availability is a little trickier now with Husky, but nothing near as bad as it was, at least for me, 5 years ago.

I'm real tempted to pick up an 07 TE 510

• Koko Azuela

Posted June 09, 2006 - 10:58 AM

I think the KTM's feel a lot faster and less busy on the road because of the 6-speed. I think a YZ timed WR will hang right with the KTM until about 80 mph then it's good bye.

Ah, no, get a 44-42T sprocket on the rear of a WR and you hit the 96MPH range, with the stock sprocket on the WR you get 80MPH...

• Triumphs

Posted June 09, 2006 - 11:46 AM

All else being equal...there's no replacement for displacement. The 450 exc is the more comparable bike to the WR. How does the 525exc compare to the FE650 Husaberg? :applause:

• Chas_M

Posted June 09, 2006 - 01:28 PM

The 525 EXC is not as strong as the Berg FE550 much less the FE650.

• gregwr450f

Posted June 09, 2006 - 03:07 PM

You cant compare apple to oranges.
The WR is much snappier, over 200mts you couldn't split them.
The 525's power comes on much smoother.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamahondaha

Posted June 09, 2006 - 03:21 PM

I`ve got my WR450 well tuned now, with hotcams and a ti powercore, but i want a little more.. Big bore is out of the Q.. Want something stock, that pulls a little stronger than this bike, if not i`ll stick to what i have..

How much faster does the 525 feel on the road/gravel? Is it remarkably stronger? Alot more grunt in low rpm`s? More pull on top rpms?

I would stick with the WR450, I ride a WR450 and a TE510 Husky and the WR can out rev a big bore bike like the EXC525 or the TE510. The Husky does have more torque but it is also a heavier bike.

The WR450 is a great balance of light weight and super thumper power, once you move past a 450 you get a slower revving motor in a heavier bike. If you want to go fast on the street buy a cheap street bike. I have also owned a street legal XR650R that would easily do 100 mph but was more than a handfull in the dirt! The WR is a better choice for off road (unless you are riding Baja).

Yamaha made used to make an XT600 and I offten wonder why no big bore thumper from team Blue? Think about how nasty fast a YZ650 would be...:applause: :prof: :D

• Ibis

Posted June 09, 2006 - 03:27 PM

I've never had an official flat out drag race or speed contest comparing the two but after riding both I'd be willing to bet $1 or maybe $2 that the 525 is not any faster than the WR 450 with free mods + pipe. Don't forget, in order to make the WR's (06) gearing equal to a stock 525, the WR has to go from 14/50 to 15/44.

• CharlesFP

Posted June 09, 2006 - 06:17 PM

I've ridden both back-to-back on the dirt. They are very different. The KTM makes all of it's power down low and then tapers off very noticably when it gets revved. The WR, with all the free mods, has a much more broad powerband, steadily increasing power with RPM's. Ultimately, the bikes seem to have the same amount of horsepower, although with a very different delivery. It just comes down to what you think you need. Do you want a powerful motor that gives you all it has quickly and early, or do you want power that is evenly spread and more simple to modulate.
I think for riding that involves higher speeds, the KTM motor would be better. For everything else, the WR rocks.

• OlaGB

Posted June 09, 2006 - 10:58 PM

Seems that the WR isnt that much slower then!?

I dont know of any 525 owner around here, but ther is a dealer that has a 04 berg 650 supermoto bike in his shop, that i can come and try out.. Guess i will take that trip, just too get a feeling about having more power, and if this could be what i`m searching for..

The berg 650 has been dyno`d to 60-61HP on the wheel, bone stock, by several people here in norway, so it probably rips my arms big time! Must be dangerous on gravel though..

• Matty05

Posted June 10, 2006 - 03:47 PM

The KTM 525 exc is not faster at all. It needs more compression.

Look to your Sweedish brothers and get a Husaberg. Basically a racing KTM. It's got the same bling as KTM (fatbars, hydraulic clutch......), but performance to match!

With well over 60hp on tap stock for the 650, I think that would give you a great starting point! They are way lighter than the WR and KTM too!

Still reading up on reviews between the 550 and 650. The 550 is short stroke motor with 100 bore x 70 stroke. The 650 is long stroke motor with 100 bore x 80 stroke. The WR is 95 bore x 63.4 stroke in comparison.

• Matty05

Posted June 10, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Seems that the WR isnt that much slower then!?

I dont know of any 525 owner around here, but ther is a dealer that has a 04 berg 650 supermoto bike in his shop, that i can come and try out.. Guess i will take that trip, just too get a feeling about having more power, and if this could be what i`m searching for..

The berg 650 has been dyno`d to 60-61HP on the wheel, bone stock, by several people here in norway, so it probably rips my arms big time! Must be dangerous on gravel though..

Get it! :prof: :D :applause: :prof:

• 3TV

Posted June 10, 2006 - 05:08 PM

As of today I have both a 2005 525 MXC and a 2006 YZ 450F. The 525 MXC is similar to the EXC, except that it has no lights and has a close ratio six speed transmission instead of the wide ratio six speed transmission in the EXC. The YZF should be pretty similar to a WR with mods, I'm thinking. So here is what I have found out in the short time I have owned the YZF. It is much lighter, better handling, and better suspended than the KTM. It revs quicker, and hits with more snap, but does not feel as strong. The 525 clearly has more grunt, and an overall better spread of power. I'm betting that with equal riders a KTM 525 would pull the holeshot on the YZ 450F pretty consistently. And given the extra weight of the WR over the YZF, I don't think a properly tuned and ridden KTM 525 would have any trouble at all beating a WR with the mods that were listed.

Would I change from a WR 450 to a KTM 525? You bet I would, in a heartbeat. Would I change from a KTM 525 to a YZ 450F? Yup, did that as well. But I'm keeping the 525, it has the all time best powerband of any dirt bike ever made, in my opinion.

• pkcof

Posted June 10, 2006 - 08:41 PM

OK, i have also ridden the '05 525 as well as '05 'berg 550 and 650. One of the guys i ride with leaves me for dead on the 650 but he is about 240lbs, a great natural rider and has little if any fear (stuffed if I've ever seen any from him). That bike is awesome to ride but in the hands of the inexperienced of foolhardy it can be lethal (in a fun kind of way). For me (and yes it's my opinion) the WR450 is a great all-rounder that can be trail ridden, guided quickly through woods, over rocks, up hills and screamed down fire roads - the next level up would be the 550/650 'berg, treat them with respect and you'll have a blast !!

• Matty05

Posted June 11, 2006 - 10:00 PM

OK, i have also ridden the '05 525 as well as '05 'berg 550 and 650.

Whats the difference between the 'Berg 550 and 650 power wise?
Thinking hard on trading up too. WR too heavy and slow.

• OlaGB

Posted June 12, 2006 - 01:34 AM

One thing really bothered me with them Berg`s.. The norwegian importer for Husaberg, says these engines has a 100hr service, that includes splitting engine, changing bearings and splitting crank for rod bearing change..

100hr.. come on.. i bet i do 100hr a year..

This might be race engine services, but still he said this should be done.. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.